Typical Internet

Nerdist Podcast #92: Typical Internet

Chris reveals details of the forthcoming Nerdist TV show at BBC America! Jonah talks about “Team Jonah”, and Matt gets his first dose of the Web’s poisonous bite-y side.

1. Lainiebug says:

2. Louie says:

ATTN: Jonah Ray
    I haven’t waded through all the previous comments so I don’t know if this has been mention already (and this is so after the fact), but Jeffery Lewis has a song called “If You Shoot The Head You Kill The Ghoul” – Check it out!

3. Brandon says:

Matt, in all sincerity, this show would not be the same without you. I am sure you have already have witnessed the out pouring of support. Honestly, as a stats nerd, I truly believe at some point you need to start playing the percentages game with supporters/detractors. It is clear you have more people with you than against you. “Haters gonna hate.” As always, great job. I listen to this while I am cartooning and you guys help me get through the tedious portions of animating. For that I thank you. This podcast also serves as a great motivational tool when sleep comes a calling and I need to work on a project.

4. Erin says:

I’d just like to throw this out there: I’m a girl, and I’m the one who got my boyfriend, brother, and parents addicted to Doctor Who. I’m working on more people :)

And I know I’m late listening to this, but Jonah: is there a movie that has the “perfect” zombies?

5. anna w says:

MATT IS AWESOME. Screw the people who have nothing better to do than mock someone as awesome as you!

6. Jeremy says:

Don’t know if this was mentioned but the band The Devil Wears Prada has a Zombie EP album, which is awesome!

8. Melissa says:

All I have to say is that I am very disappointed in those people who chose to spew such negativity towards Matt. I am very, very, very disappointed. *said in my official Mom-voice*

9. Mike says:

Another zombie song is “Fuckin Zombies” by a punk band called Secretions, which is from the POV of Ash from Evil Dead 2.

10. PhilosopherKing says:

So this is it. I would say with the BBC deal, NERDIST has “made the big time”, its a REAL PRODUCT.
    Gone are the “some friends in a garage” days. With audiences, advertisements, soon to be fully produced shows, additional podcasts under the Nerdist name, and a financial base for the Nerdiest empire, I’d say Hardwick’s pet project will soon be a funded, founded, steady bastion of Psuedo-Nerd culture.

That said, this also means its time for some of us to ABANDON the Nerdist cruise liner. That 1-3% of the listener base that can’t bear anything verging on Popular Media (and with a show on BBC, Nerdist is basically there) must now depart. Its a sad goodbye, but with the impending changes popularity brings, its for the best.

Its been fun Chris, see you next time you start something small and awesome!

11. David says:

AV Clu…who?
    Dear Wonderful Nerdist Podcasters:

I “discovered” Nerdist podcast by accident several months ago. Since then it has become a big part of my life: it’s what I listen to on my commute, while running at the gym, and while chilling out in my apartment. You three are my connection to a comedic, nerdy community that I didn’t have growing up in Delaware. I listened to the Maria Bamford episode nonstop for a week before my feelings of elation began to subside.

In this episode your discussion about the AV Club thread was the first time I’d heard of their site. I don’t know about the AV Club, I don’t know about microphone quality, and I don’t know about stand-up comedy. All I know is that once or twice a week the old people at the gym scowl as I burst into laughter on the treadmill. And unlike the gym, those laughs are free. So I hope none of you take the “AV Club” stuff to heart.

Glad to hear Matt and Jonah will be joining you on BBC!

12. J says:

I have some ideas for Team Matt shirts (Team Jonah, too, but I give my love first and foremost to Matt). 😉 I will give them to you willingly and for free if you want them as Nerdist merch. I think this should totally be done. Otherwise, I was going to set up a cafepress store. Who can I contact? And, really, I guess, is anyone else interested, or am I just crazy?

13. smartbunny says:

I didn’t see any of the vitriol directed at Mira on The Onion AV Club, but just know this; if someone is on there picking on your WEIGHT, of all things, they have absolutely nothing to contribute to anything, ever. Matt has been open and honest about his weight and he has lost a considerable amount as well. To pick on this (or Greta, for god’s sake) is like getting an opinion from a sewer rat. Honestly, who cares what someone like that thinks… about anything?

I loved Shipmates. My mom and I would watch it together and I would crush on Chris big time. I recall the host segments being pretty generic as if they were taped for any episode, and sometimes used over again. I recall one end segment with Chris saying something akin to, “Now the show is over, go read a book or something! Nah… you’re not gonna do THAT…” Le sigh.

Oh, and here’s the name tag I made for Doug Loves Movies in NYC 2 weeks ago. I was in the back so no one saw it, but it was fun to make:

14. Churba says:

Fantasy Leagues are not just limited to sports like Baseball and American football – there is even Fantasy motorsports, Fantasy Cricket(Yep, Chris, it exists), Fantasy Surfing(Different from how some people hang around the beach and pretend to be surfers, apparently), Fantasy Pro Wrestling(A game about a fictional version of a fictional sport? Really?) Fantasy Stock Markets, Fantasy Congress. There’s even a Fantasy sport writers associations, and a Fantasy sports association and Fantasy sports trade association, both regulatory, trade, and lobbying bodies for fantasy sports.

15. Doc says:

Matt y Joena:

Matt: Do not let the haters get you down. As a guy who’s been listening to the podcast since the first episode, I point out that your voice has been growing in strength in the last few months, and it’s been fantastic to listen to you begin your new adventure, moving away from the Fruit Store to the slightly more perilous world of writing, performing, and doing what thrills you. I do not know if you’ve gone back to listen to the first say 10 podcasts, but you should do that on one of your walks. You might be surprised.

Joenah: ahhh.,. fuwk yr zombee luyv. #jazzbutcher #zombielove

16. Jeremy says:

Best Zombie song? Easy – “Stagger Slide” by Dance Band.

17. Duncan says:

Great news about the BBCA gig, though that’s up on a tier I don’t get, and I can’t see paying charter for even more channels that’ll just look like CUSeeMe on my plasma and piss me off.

I didn’t delve too deeply into the comments over at AVClub, but I like Matt contributions (even when he’s only half-mic’d) and can’t really see where the all the hate’s coming from. My only Matt-related complaint would be that the hostful eps do tend to devolve into “Chris and Jonah’s Matt Mira Affirmation Hour” and that’s hardly Matt’s fault…

18. Jack says:

Just want to say that Matt is awesome because all of the hater news annoyed me. Matt is funny and an inspiration. I have lost 55 pounds in the past two months after starting a diet – and much of the motivation for the diet occurred while listening to the Nerdist episodes and hearing Matt’s success.

However, I will say screw the Red Sox because I’m an Indians fan. All in good jest though :)

19. Susan H. says:

I use NoScript for Firefox, which will often prevent comments threads (those which use Javascript) from loading. This, along with preventing video ads, makes my web experience at least 100% more pleasant.

I would bet that you get less trashtalk on your twitter account, than from open comments threads, because they’re too cowardly to even face you digitally, let alone in person.

20. Erin M. says:

One last – last thing: Not only are the Matt haters angry sad little people not worth your time, but working in retail in the past I always heard (maybe you experience the same at the produce stand) that people with negative things to say are something like 5x more likely to share, & when they do they share to a bigger audience … that really skews your perception of the good:bad ratio.

21. Erin M. says:

Yay for lady Whovian converts! I am a recent one, so much so that I watched the premier of S6 w/the boyfriend and by the time S6E3 aired I had watched ALL of the New Who episodes including all the specials … whats more I actually watched S5 first then went back to watch 1-4, mostly b/c since my first ep was with Matt Smith I felt I should get a better feel for him before I went immediately to an old/new to me Dr. Another interesting result of this is that I kind of experienced the show (excluding the new S6 episodes) along River Song’s timeline (ie Forest of the Dead was the last River Song episode I saw).

I’m rambling now, kicked off by a very brief discussion in this podcast, I loved it all though.

One last thing: a while back Chris mentioned that he was a little behind the curve in realizing that Torchwood was an anagram of Doctor Who …. Did you notice that “The Waters of Mars” – the episode that leads up to the return of The Master – is an anagram of Wars of The Master?
    Thanks guys!

22. Taryn says:

I just wanted to let you guys know that the podcast never fails to brighten my day and make me laugh during what would otherwise be nothing more than a haze of 8-5 boredom in a cubicle. I don’t understand at all what makes people take the time to complain about how much they hate a podcast when they could simply stop listening. It cracks me up that some of the things they are complaining about are exactly what makes the podcast so great. Chris doesn’t like sports! He doesn’t even pretend to understand why other people like them! Matt and Jonah talk! All three of them have a conversation with the guests rather than just letting them speak! They talk about random things! They only aim their podcast at nerds!

It just baffles my mind. The great thing about podcasts is that they allow people to reach a specific audience. Of course not every person out there is going to enjoy it, but why should they?

I get enough negativity in my day to day life and I love to retreat to a happy, nerdy place in my mind while listening to you guys. I love the chatty, seemingly random style because it feels like you’re hanging out friends. I love the guests/interviews because we get a perspective on them we’re never going to get anywhere else. Basically, I love Nerdist, so please ignore the people spewing hate.

23. Patrick says:

hey guys!

I’m a new listener and have been getting caught up on the podcast over the past week. I recently sat down to watch “Super” and decided to listen to the James Gunn podcast before I watch the movie. When you guys were talking about the Ellen Page rape scene where she fucks Rainn Wilson I totally thought it was a joke. Why? because it seemed too insanely ridiculous for it to actually happen.

Anyway, love the show and hope one of you comes to Toronto to do a show or something :).

Canadian Nerdest Patrick :)

Ps- I would 100% let Ellen Page rape me, but then I suppose it wouldn’t be rape since I’d be letting it happen.

24. Crash says:

Chris hangs out with Alison Haislip? That’s be an awesome geeky G4 hookup if Chris didn’t already have a lady.

25. eboe says:

So, does Now I’m Feeling Zombiefied by Alien Sex Fiend count as a zombie song? LOL

AND DON’T FRONT ON SHARP CHEDDAR AND CRACKERS! That is the secret to my figure. Keeps me in shape. A round shape, but a shape nonetheless lol.

26. Clea says:

This podcast gives me absurd amounts of joy. You guys are great. I hope that you hear enough positive feedback from fans to make up for the negative shit that gets slung (slinged? not sure) your way.