Typical Internet

Nerdist Podcast #92: Typical Internet

Chris reveals details of the forthcoming Nerdist TV show at BBC America! Jonah talks about “Team Jonah”, and Matt gets his first dose of the Web’s poisonous bite-y side.

1. Josh from Europe aka BountyHunter says:

(((d((–__–)b))) Congrats to your Show man.
    This will be great

2. Germ says:

Sarah wins for best quemment.

3. Ricky says:

Thank all three of you for inspiring me, I am now working on a solid stand up rotation and chasing my dreams! Goal in sight is to invade matt’s show and kill it ! <3

4. ouini says:

We all want more Matt. More to the point, we all want to be able to hear what Matt says so we can laugh with him at Jonah and Chris. So speak up and talk into the gorram microphone! This guy is really funny!

That said, go Team Jonah, obviously.

5. Canadian Matt S says:

Matt – fuck the haters, your doing your thing, keep it up, but if you stop doing open mics and working your day off, then fuck you indeed, I wish I had people to push me the way you do. There is one open mic near me that I found out about and then after three weeks of me pussing out it shut down for the summer , take advantage of the great things you have at hand.

Congrats to all the boys, making shit happen, getting on the doctors network.

6. JeffreyB says:

You’re great Matt, fuck the haters. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID FACES! Fuck them with your big swingin’ cock. Fuck them.

7. Zach says:

Oh god. I haven’t laughed that hard at the podcast in quite a long time. I fell out of my chair doubled over at the end there good sirs. Oh that was great.

Team Jonah ftw.

8. Gospel X says:

The amazing Rockapella have covered a greatly under appreciated zombie song called “Zombie Jamboree”. In posting this comment, I was forced to look it up (mainly because I rarely use “jamboree” and couldn’t spell it…) and realized it was a cover. Gotta find the original. Regardless, “Zombie Jamboree” is a great song.

9. todd says:

Great show I laughed so loud and woke my 2 year old son–the once and future nerd. Thanks for the LOLs

10. Sarah says:

Hi guys,
    Stuck in anti-nerd hell – dirt track racing on Saturday night in WNY. It’s pure hell, but the bf likes it so I’m here, listening to the podcast, with my fun flask filled with vodka and cram. Thankful for the iPhone! Matt – don’t let the haters get to you. Frak em all! Ew – I can feel dirt in my teeth. This is redneck hell. So glad I’ve got you guys to listen to, and that next weekend is my bday so I get to pick what we do!!! Omg. I think I’m a little drunk but I sooooooo love u guys! Does this count as a quemment?!?!?!

11. JetpackBlues says:

Why all the muttering under your breath about the Arlington show? If you don’t want me there, all you had to do was say so.

Geez! 😀

Glad they got the microphones in the studio fixed for this week’s Hostful. Fun times as always.

Yes to George Takei on the Podcast! And an exclamation point for deets about Programme:Nerdist on BBC America!

12. Matt says:

Matt I just want to say fuck the d-bags on the Onion AV club you are funny as he’ll and I know I’m not alone in thinking that keep up the great job guys and congrats on the BBC gig!

13. Rick says:

You guys are awesome can’t wait for the show, and fuck the haters the Matt.

14. Nick S says:

Please do start a Nerdist fantasy baseball league next year Matt. I’m a big stat geek and it would be awesome to play with you and the Nerdist community.

15. Brian E. says:

Another great Hostful!

I too heard a Noodle Stories! moment at around the 9min mark.

So happy about the show. Loving riding the Nerdist wave.

16. Jen K says:

I was so hoping you guys would get to the comic books that Cheri made you. Everybody likey?

17. Maura says:

Bestest hostful ever. And the hostfuls are my faves, so. There you go.

18. gladly says:

I just downloaded the Neil deGrasse Tyson podcast, thank you! I had no idea it existed, and I’ve got such a crush on him.

19. Kevin says:

Sorry, Chris not Chis. Proofreading posts is a good idea when you don’t want to insult hosts of podcasts you enjoy.

20. Kevin says:

I just have to say, Chis doesn’t get a team because he is the Bella (had to look that up) of the group.

21. Smacque says:

My fave zombie song is “Zombie” by The Fall-Outs. It’s a metaphor for an obsessive ex. Great twangy early 90s garage rock.

22. smellyhipster says:

I recently made a zombie playlist which includes Metric “Help I’m Alive,” The National “Conversation 16,” & Sufjan Stevens “They Are Night Zombies!!…” So there you go. Three zombie songs without bringing up The Cranberries, metal, or psychobilly.
    I love you guys. Especially Jonah who will skip this.

23. JohnnyScof says:

Just finished listening. I love you guys, you give me all the laughs.

24. Teddy says:

I just want to start out by saying that I love the podcast and I plan on going to the podcast when you come to New York.

That being said…please Chris: stop overusing/misusing the word “literally.” I don’t mean to come across as a dick, it just really bothers me. I will refer you to my favorite Oatmeal comic:

Love the podcast. Keep doing what you’re doing.

25. Adam says:

Don’t worry Matt. They’re just jealous of your awesomeness, they aren’t about to be on TV after all.

Also, Chris. Sophie’s Choice situation. Matt or Jonah? Choose wisely.

26. vince says:

zombie song/video: through the eyes of the dead “failure in the flesh”, awesome. #teammatt

27. katie says:

Matt, ignore those morons (and in reality, it was just a couple of idiots who are bored…literally 3 or 4 people in the world…that’s it). I enjoy you, and I know my opinion is not worth much, but it’s true. And that’s not me blowing smoke up your ass. I don’t do that.

AHHHH!!!! BBC SHOW!!!!! Well done.

28. Since you will soon be a part of the BBC family, I think maybe you could get on Top Gear… at least Top Gear America! Would be totally awesome! Just sayin!

29. Tscott says:

Great Podcast. Re: Zombie songs, in 2009 I made a Halloween Zombie Mix for friends. I’m not saying they’re the best zombie songs of all time, and a few may not be technically about zombies, but here it is for your perusal, with youtube links…

1. Zombie For Your Love – Kim Lenz and Her Jaguars
    11. Zombie – Nellie McKay
    12. Re: Your Brains – Jonathan Coulton
    13. Day of the Dead – Voltaire
    14. Pet Sematary – The Ramones
    15. Premature Burial – Siouxsie & the Banshees
    16. She’s Not There – The Zombies

Sorry so long, and I’m sure I missed some great zombie songs (and also sorry for including the overplayed Cranberries song).

Tscott, from Rockford IL (home of the ROCKFORD Peaches!)

30. Brian says:

I am so happy for you guys about the BBC show!!! Friggin awesome! And I’m so excited to hear that Star Talk Radio is back. I thought it was gone forever… I spawned a white dwarf in my pants!!!

31. Baldr says:

Chris makes jokes, but it’s a srs issue in the UK. Eggs are hard to come by because of some concession in the magna carta.

Everyone knows all the swans are royal property. Chickens too. Every time a chickens lays and egg, there’s a whole shit-storm of paperwork and bureaucracy.

Some folks in Wales had all their chickens’ butts sewed up or something.

32. A Nerdist TV show…Nice going Chris, I can’t wait for it! Great P-cast, very funny but you almost lost me at the Fantasy Baseball stuff. I love hearing just you guys chit chat and bust out in to song, the hostful P-casts make me happy! (^_^)

33. Evan ashby says:

i love you. and i have lost weight due to 4hb. love

34. CJLP says:

I tell you what i want what i really really want. I want both a team Matt and Jonah shirt or a shirt with Jonah and Matt’s name inside a heart. Good Luck on the new BBC Show guys!

35. Ryan says:

At 9:3…. NOODLE STORIES!!!

But really, hopefully they’re up for that synergy thing. My second thought after reading that article that you were getting a tv show after “HOLY SHIT YES!!!” was “But… no more podcast!?”
    Good for that issue being resolved.

Thor Earth scenes totally played out like a sitcom.

P.s; Team Matt all the way;)

36. Typical Internet says:

Chris, you made me d’aww when you got upset for Matt.

Dear Matt,

Haters gonna hate. Stay awesome.

37. Cate says:

Angry arms about those ignorant sods hating on Matt! Mr. Mira is so delightful and the podcast wouldn’t be 1/3 as great as it is without him! Farewell and adieu to you internet haters, farewell and adieu you haters of internet (PLEASE get the Jaws reference). Also, congratulations to all of you gentlemen! I am thrilled that the public is recognizing your insouciant grace on the podcast and taking it to the BBC-consuming masses! Huzzah, I say!

38. Jamie says:

Grea show guys! I hope those jerk asses don’t get you down, Matt.

39. Mark T. Manning says:

YAY! I love fantasy baseball (as well as football & basketball)! I have 8 teams, some dynasty, a couple limited-keeper, and a couple redraft leagues (all on yahoo sports).

PLEASE PLEASE let me know about your (eventual) Nerdist league. I want to be a part of it.

I also am commissioner of many of the leagues I am in, so if you want to brainstorm categories, set-up, best site to host and/or someone to run the day-to-day of the league, etc., please let me know! I’m a sports nerd, too. :)

40. Mark T. Manning says:

Fuck those haters, Matt. The overwhelmingly large and (unfortunately) silent majority of us love and support you 100%. You are hilarious, and an equally important of the Nerdist.

41. Kathy Ann says:

I always thought “Who Can It Be Now” by Men At Work was a song about zombies attacking. (

Who can it be knocking at my door?
    Make no sound, tip-toe across the floor.
    If he hears, he’ll knock all day,
    I’ll be trapped, and here I’ll have to stay.
    I’ve done no harm, I keep to myself;
    There’s nothing wrong with my state of mental health.

42. Myckel S. says:

I love that Jonah went to Africa to study under zombie experts.

43. Chris says:

Re: The End of the show.
    chown chris:nerdist /usr/jonah.ray

44. Brendan says:

Gah the AV Club has some of the best comment sections on the internet. Sorry you ran into the jerks, Matt. Don’t think less of the website!

45. Steph says:

Psht. Matt, you are delightful. I love the dynamic between the three of you and the podcast wouldn’t be the same without your presence. Many hearts in your direction. :o)

Haters be hatin’

46. Will Jacobson says:

Wow! So pumped! Now I need to get real cable!
    Where will you film, LA? Surely you can’t fly to London one billion times.

47. Amanda says:

Oh no, I just saw this was posted! I’m almost tempted to stay at work for another hour to listen to it instead of going out to drink with friends. Almost.

48. Chad H says:

I very happy Matt and Jonah will be a part of the new show.

49. Chris Hardwick says:

Yes! Audience at taping! More details soon.

50. Livius says:

Been waiting since last night for this.
    Congrats on the show.