NATHAN FILLION

Nerdist Podcast #65: NATHAN FILLION

Nathan Fillion (a fine, fine fellow) makes us coffee, talks about his Canadian improv roots, an unmade pilot he wrote, getting Joss Whedon on Castle, and whether or not he’s going to buy Firefly. Plus, fan tweets answered!!! A well-rounded audio programme (British spelling for uppity emphasis) indeed.

This episode was brought to you by Falcon Northwest Computer Systems!

Comments

1. Josh from Europe says:

Nathan f*****g yeah

2. Calison6 says:

Great job guys.

3. Cornelius says:

Hey guys,

I’ve been listening to the Podcast for quite a while now and really enjoy it. I’m sure this has been suggested to you before but I really think you should get John Oliver on the Podcast. He’s extremely funny,he hosts his own Podcast “The Bugle” together with Any Zaltzmann and you could claim to have moved closer to you goal of having the entire cast of Community on your show!

Keep up the good work!
    Cornelius

4. Jeremy says:

fun interview! thanks

5. Shirashima says:

So yeah…. I freaking love this. One teeny tiny itsy bitsy problem though.

Chaotic-good is most definitely not a class. It is an alignment.

I know. Stupidest issue to have with a podcast ever. I still loved it. It just irked me because I was trying to do yoga on the wii fit while listening, and that threw my balance off hearing that.

Otherwise… Hell its Hardwick and Fillion. They’re sexy beasts. And awesome. So. Yeah. That was all, I think. Other than that I hate that my interwebz only work sometimes. I would have been able to listen to this way sooner if it had.

6. smartbunny says:

Nathan’s cadence while speaking sounds exactly like Jimmy Pardo. “Oh, oh god no. That would be a terrible idea.”

Knowing that he and CH both wear boxer briefs is making my vagina cry.

7. Reggie says:

It’s taken me a frigging week and I STILL haven’t heard the whole Nathan Fillion podcast. I go walking for an hour…the podcast is 1.5 hours. At several spots in the walk, my wife starts talking and expects me to pay attention.
    I get up before 7 hoping to be able to hear the rest (I’m a big Nathan Fillion Fan…only recently discovering Dr. Horrible’s sing along blog (I’m 62 and my kids typically turn me on to fun stuff) and Firefly (as a result of the early parts of the podcast)…and my wife, who normally doesn’t move until 9, comes in for breakfast and to read the paper at 7 freaking 05. Is there no JUSTICE?
    I did take the time to buy a pair of Tweaked earbuds and they’re GREAT. I highly recommend them.
    Keep up the good work, I enjoy the easy conversations that pass as podcasts.

8. Great Podcast! First, about your offhand remark on Philanthropy that “you can’t just hand someone money” – In fact, micro donation with direct deposit to the poor via cel phones is all about cutting out the corruption of the middleman. See: http://www.newamerica.net/events/2011/can_technology_save_foreign_aid Technology advance.

Second: Our organization promotes fusion (nuclear) research. If Nathan wins 300 mil he could fund a lot of different fusion research projects, and bring about the day when a real Firefly ship is possible. There are a lot of $1 to $2 Mil university projects that may lead to pleasant physics surprises – lots to be done. Check out our site: http://focusfusion.org and follow us @focusfusion on twitter. Thanks!

Best regards,
    Rezwan

9. just some dude says:

Hey,

Love ya’ll enough to say…

i kinda like hearing you work your tentative tagline into the episode…. plus it sounds like maybe somebody might someday want to stop prompting us… to enjoy our burrito.

just a combination of thing that were noticed by… you know people… embodied by me i guess.

…DUDES!

-AT

10. MarciTwitches says:

So while I love looking at Mr Fillion and could do so all day, I’m reminded by this podcast why I’d actually like to do so much more than just look at him.

Wait. That didn’t come out right. (Yes it did).

LISTENING. I meant listening was FUN. His wit, personality, and obvious talent remind me why he’s at the tippy top of my Top 5 List.

11. Caz says:

Doing my best to fire up interest. Fan meet fan blows the ember to a flame. Here is some window shopping from some fan art and firefly related items. http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4d6ffba5eacf8eef866d2789/firefly-is-on-the-signal-again-cant-stop?ref=pr_treasury

12. three toes of fury says:

woot! i just made a fresh batch o “fillions fusterclucks” tonite.
    Sweet tap-dancing-hezues are they amazing!

Nerdist Krew: keep up the good work…y’all’s podcast is officially the coolest thing since Easy Cheeze.

peace .n. firefly
    jeff ‘three toes o fury’ mashke

13. Deej says:

You need more Canadians on the podcast

14. Jacob says:

hahahahah bummermares

15. Julia says:

BTW, I often have to google guests on podcasts to see who they are. Joey Buchanan from OLTL! I hope he gets into some soap dish. OK, back to the podcast…

16. Julia says:

Just started listening and I have been making Nathan Fillion’s candy things for years! They are so awesome. Here’s some variations:

chocolate chips, broken up pretzels and raisins
    peanut butter chips, broken up pretzels and raisins

I never could decide what to name them, but I like “globs of deliciousness”

17. Monica says:

We’ve been making those things at xmastime for years, I made some just recently, but I use only butterscotch (no chocolate). they’re called Haystacks! google it, tons of variations. THE BEST

18. Erin says:

Thank you so much for this episode. I love the podcast (and I’m a girl!) and Nathan Fillion as a guest just made me over-the-top happy!

19. Jenna says:

I am laughing so hard that my sides hurt. DUDE. Have Nathan come back on, PLEASE!!! He’s the perfect cherry on top of the show.

And seriously, I’ve wondered for ages how oral pleasure and veganism could coexist in the same person… glad to know I’m not alone. ;)

20. Jenna says:

21. n18pr says:

I love how we keep hearing “I’ll cut this part out” from chris during the podcast. It’s actually quite humorous to hear pseudo-unedited podcasting.
    All the same, Matt, do you want me to get you a Final Cut Pro editing guide? Might help with your “problem”…

22. The recipe that Nathan described is haystacks. The ones we make don’t have the nuts in them. Still awesome though.

23. Damien Byrne says:

We need more Nathan Fillion, more podcast’s please.

24. TJ Shields says:

Great Podcast!! Looking forward to your visit to Chicago. See you at Zanies and hopefully C2E2. :)

25. Clueless Neophyte says:

@FBECG: I don’t think it’s an ear canal size thing, since all3 different sized of gel whatzits “fit”–they just don’t stay put real well.

@Zak R.: I’ve been wearing them now (with the mid-size gel thingies), & with a slight adjustment they are staying in place reasonably well (better, anyways). Haven’t really done any strenuous movement, so we’ll see.

@my-name: The Tweaked buds do indeed sound great, esp. on the low end (terrific bass), & they’re at least 5x louder than my old Apple buds (no exaggeration). Also, definitely more comfy then the Apple ones, if not quite as grippy. Pros & cons, I guess–still glad I got ‘em.

26. Brian says:

I AM meat!

27. Freakishly big ear canal guy says:

Dear Diary,

I was reading Clueless Neophyte’s post about having freakishly small ear canals and could not help thinking “why doesn’t Clueless contact the company and see if they have an ear canal expander?”

28. Graham Ashby says:

Hi. This podcast was great and i enjoyed the twitter readings. But the main reason I’m commenting is how do I email you guys cause I have several questions to ask as well as many comments. Thank you.

29. Katy says:

The Mimic is one of my favorites! “I’m Mrs. Deveraux.” Classic!

30. Zak R. says:

To Clueless Neophyte: I too have had trouble with that style of ear-phone adapter thingies, though not to the extent that you describe it. I also don’t own the Tweaked version, so the material may be vastly different. I have a feeling that some people’s ears and ear canals are just shaped in such a way as to negate the grip-style of that kind of… whatever that piece is called. Mine don’t fall out all that easily, but minor changes in orientation affect their placement in my ear, and thus the sound quality. The only solution I can think of if they’re constantly falling out is duck tape! :P

31. mykie says:

Awesome show, Chris!

This was the first podcast I’ve ever listened to ever (other than the live podcast when you came to Seattle Bumbershoot), and lemme tell ya, I’m going to keep listening!

As for Nathan, man I wanna have your manbabies. No homo.

32. S says:

Guys check the mp3 download, its telling me it’s a broken link.

33. my-name-here says:

Is it just me or are the tweaked audio ear buds freakishly comfortable? I mainly bought them because they where pretty cheap, supposedly really good, and to support the nerdist. I already had a set of phillips ear buds recently purchased, very similar to these. I never thought of the phillips ones as uncomfortable, but now with these tweaked audio ones the difference is freaking amazing… can’t use the other ones anymore… I can’t see a clear difference in design, so having such a stark contrast in very similar products seems quite odd to me.

34. Jonathan says:

Right place, right time, and just outgoing enough to get a picture of You, Fillion, and my Fiance (Twitter/Carhole)

35. Jonathan says:

And this is why my Fiance loves me

36. D.Vader says:

Wahlberg is talented, I just don’t want to hear Nathan Drake say “Say hi to your mother for me”

Drake is a very clever guy, I don’t get clever from Wahlberg

37. So what’s the music at the beginning when you’re doing your plugs? I kinds want to listen to it at work.

Great EP, BTW. QED.

38. Melissa says:

*swoon* Seriously, I am in heaven!

39. Marvin says:

Is libsyn.com broken as none of the podcasts seem to work. I get a “The information you requested could not be retrieved. Invalid customer hash.” or “file not found” when trying to play these.

40. RadNerd says:

So just when I think the @wilw episode was awesome, you gotta go and one up yourself. #HelpNathanFillionBuySirEnterMe

41. fraksson says:

Is it just me it doesn’t work for?

42. Clueless Neophyte says:

Mr. Fillion was just as charming as I expected–great show, all around, & sounded even better on my new Tweaked earbuds! Thanks for saving me 10 bucks, nerdist!

But there’s a leeetle problem: There are my first earbuds with the gel adapters to jam in the ol’ ear canals, & they don’t stay put very well. I’ve tried all 3 sizes they included, but I still find them too fally-outy. They sound SO much better than my old iPod brand earbuds, but if I can’t even lean over without them coming loose, I might have to send ‘em back. Does anyone else have this issue (with the Tweaked buds or otherwise), & what, if anything, can be done about it?

Thanks in advance–CN

43. Jamie Snell says:

Great show, it had me cracking up. Keep it shiny!

44. Maxwell says:

First Wil Wheaton, and now Nathan Fillion. You’ve made me the happiest nerd ever Chris Hardwick.

45. RadNerd says:

EPIC NERDGASM IS EPIC!!! F-Yeah Nerdist F-Yeah.

46. Eeeeeeva says:

Hey! I’m from Minnesota! >:(

47. LyP says:

Crazy Heart is fabulous! Would love to hear Jeff Bridges sing the Firefly theme song.

48. What a great podcast! It’s so nice to hear Nathan reppin’ our pal Josh Dean, and all of us here at Rapid Fire Theatre in modest little Edmonton, Alberta. We’ll be sure to share this awesome podcast around!

XO
    RFT

49. sinatraz says:

Great podcast! For some reason this made me wish Nathan would do MTV Cribs.

Thanks Chris and Nathan for the the time to do this. Podcast started and work and finished at home. It takes a lot for me to want to comeback and finish a cast.

Looking forward to the second part of Castle tonight!

50. LyP says:

Great show! Nice to hear Nathan Fillion as Nathan: gracious, clever, engaging, and you guys really played off of each other well. Thanks for the many chuckles, the great info, the willingness to share. Loved the f*ck-em retreat!