Nerdist Podcast #64: BURGER SALAD

The guys all realize they’re much better off than they thought they were. *cue Wonder Years theme*

Nerdist listeners get $10 off snazzy new earbuds at!

1. Eyedraugh says:

What’s the last podcast mentioned? I caught “Walk in the Room” but couldn’t make out the last one… Help a brudda out.

…This burrito is falling apart…

2. Sheldon Witt says:

That was THE BEST!!! sound-off ever.
    Music burritos to my ears.

3. JetpackBlues says:

If’n yours and Molly’s ideas about the Jetsons/Flintstones weren’t mind-blowing enough, I present this:

4. Zach says:

I would like to respectfully disagree with you guys on the Live Stream. This might not get read but I think it would actually be a great idea for you guys do to do it.

Ben Folds did one everyday for like two weeks as the press promotion for his new album Lonely Avenue and it was a pretty big success. Granted his was an hour interview with random people who submitted questions that were picked out as being funny, interest etc.

This fan base seems as dedicated as his so I think you guys could pull it off really well, especially with Matt’s tech expertise ;P

5. Beth Kaelin says:

Yet another great podcast. I must say I enjoy the hostful podcasts the most. It’s cool to be able to hear about the reason I started listening in the first place, Chris Hardwick! Plus Jonah and Matt are awesome and hilarious. I would definitley enjoy a live chat room or some such with the three of you guys. And another suggestion, I’d personally like an entire hostful episode with only listener questions. That would be awesome. Anyway, love the podcast and can’t wait for the next one. :)

6. gladly says:

The hostful podcast was an excellent companion on my long drive today–yay for these episodes. But, did my excitable ears imagine Chris saying he’d add a Sniper song to the end of the podcast? Even without the gold pants visual, I’d love some more Sniper!

7. Ross says:

There seems to be a trend in your listening tastes this week, Chris: you described the new Radiohead as “sounding like a Thom Yorke solo album” & I feel the two Crowded House discs since their reconstitution as a band mostly sound like Neil Finn’s solo albums (although I like these last two, I miss the sound–and the strangeness–that Paul Hester brought to the original lineup, RIP).

8. Brynn says:

being mentioned in this podcast was AN AWESOME BIRTHDAY PRESENT. even if it was a couple days late :) i turned 20 on Wednesday and had a wonderful time with my family and this episode helped me end my birth-week on a super-high note! thanks guys!

9. Wesley Marshall says:

I sent in a email about being an intern are you guys still reviewing them?

10. Chris Hardwick says:

Snell: Walking the Room is Greg Behrendt & Dave Anthony and they’re fantastic.

Krystlyn: email me –>

Sari: GREAT idea. Sounds like a job for an intern… :)

11. Sari says:

Hey Chris,
    I miss many of the references you guys make on the podcast and I try to catch up on them whenever I can. I listened to episodes 1 through 10 again last week and it was like listening to a new episode — it’s amazing how much I have learned about cool and nerdy things from you guys.
    My suggestion/request is if you could write some short synopsis of the episodes with URLs, links, or even just the names of the shows and songs you have talked about.

Thank you guys for your work and for introducing me to the Nerdist universe !

12. ChuckG says:

Things I like: Bad Religion, UFC/Strikeforce/KingOfTheCage…etc, Doctor who(Tom Baker=jellybabies), Vader pussy…no wait-what?-not that., my TRS80 16K CC (R.I.P.) and —your podcast.
    ‘got a question: Is Gillian Vigman the only woman doing commercials these days?!?
    That’s all…Raleigh,NC out (yes… near ncsu)

13. Eric says:

Jonah’s Arcade? That sounds right up my alley.

Here’s a sample of my writing if you need more writers:

I [Link’s health] Nerdist. :)

14. Jamie Snell says:

Loved the show!
    What was the podcast that Matt and Jonah recommended at the end? I rewinded it but I couldn’t tell what one of them was.. I found the “Pod F Tompkast” but the other one sounded like the “Walk in the Room” podcast and I couldn’t find that on iTunes.

15. JTanzer says:

The Minstrel Show is an awesome album yet, somehow, I had never noticed Chris was the host. Yet another reason to dig Little Brother (though it’s too bad they split up.) Anyone who thinks there’s no good rap out there just isn’t trying hard enough!

Speaking of rap, ever thought about a Nerdist/nerdcore mashup? MC Frontalot at a live show etc?

BTW is the Node still a thing in progress? Haven’t heard it discussed in a while. Is the Beta closed?

16. Krystlyn says:

Love the Podcast! How much does it cost to sponsor one of the podcasts? I’m a graphic designer nerdist!

17. Mack says:

I think that we should start a free Matt Fund.

18. Erik W says:

Heya Chris (and everyone) –

When you guys were talking about what guys/gals are “wired to seek”, it reminded me of a book titled “Sex At Dawn” (I forget the author, check Amazon!). It’s super interesting and starts with some nerdy anthropological stuff, but then takes a left turn into things like sperm ball babys (No, I’m not making that up). Check it out!

19. Tzvi says:

That was awesome.

Matt, get on it! You already got the responsibility stuff down, give your self over to your passion. Remember that it’s called “stress” when you are doing something challenging but feel like you should be doing something else (or would rather be doing something else, and it is called “Work” when you are dedicating your time exactly to what you want to do. It doesn’t stop being challenging and exhausting, but it does give you mad stamina and charisma bonuses and assures you will level up.

20. Flatulator says:

Hey Chris, it looks like you’re going to be in Chicago at the same time as Carolla. I saw his show where you came on stage at Park West, and it was great. Any plans to do anything this time?

21. Jared says:

I hate to double-post, but I just had to mention that libraries are definitely still here. We’re not hard to find. I work in two of them, and there are plenty of nerds here. Granted, there are also children and homeless people and various other types of people who don’t like to pay for things, but that’s what makes it a public library. I know nerds tend to think the internet has replaced us, but I still believe. Anyway, I just heard the part of this episode where you mentioned libraries (I was listening to it while writing my last post) and thought I would throw some of my righteous librarian anger at you.

22. Chris Hardwick says:

Hey all! Thank you SO MUCH!!!

The email is

Jared: The Indy show was a mistake. Crackers had asked me to do the shows but I was unavailable. For some reason, they went ahead and posted me as performing there anyway, so we had to have them take it down. I’m sure I’ll be back round those parts some time this year.

23. Jared says:

I rarely comment on blogs, but I love your show. I was looking at your show dates, and it reminded me of something. I live in Indianapolis, and you (Chris) were scheduled to perform at Crackers here a while back. Then all of a sudden you seemed to disappear from the schedule. I was really looking forward to seeing you. Did you cancel or did I space and totally miss you? Also, will you ever come back here?

24. jamison says:

25. Brad #2 says:

Hey Jonah, if the broken arm is keeping you from banging out reps of push-ups. Why not try squats?

26. KIEL says:

Cant Wait till you post that picture! I used to manip interior and exterior facades using Adobe for a living.

You guys are inspiring.

27. SK says:

Just have to say I fucking love you guys, and the hostful podcasts make me all happy inside.

One of the things I love so much about you guys is that you’re so POSITIVE. It’s nice to hear comics be funny without shitting all over everything constantly. I’ve been listening for almost a year now and it’s been a delight the entire time.

Also, as someone who’s having a pretty rough time in my life right now, hearing you guys talking about taking those scary steps to follow your dreams is honestly an inspiration. I wish you guys all the best; I hope Chris’s Boston show goes great (if I lived anywhere near there I would attend the fuck out of that thing), hope Jonah’s pilot gets picked up, and of course wish Matt luck with his stand-up.

28. kevin says:

chris hardwick, you make my day at my mon0tonous job just a little bit better each week. keep up the great shows 😀

29. Mo says:

I often use my sonic screwdrivers (I have Ten’s and Eleven’s) to “double deadlock” my daughters’ windows and closets so that monsters and ghosts cannot come in.

It makes them giggle and it makes me feel so many kinds of awesome.

30. Beaucifer says:

God, I love your show. I have a question I’d like to send to the show, and I must be blind. Is there an email address I just can’t find?

31. Andrew P says:

Whaa? another one?!
    i just finished the last one… woop!

32. Wesley Marshall says:

Great episode as always. I was the guy at Gallifrey Onr who asked about you recording matts stand up. And Johna I shall watch your show. Also can’t wait for the Nerdist headquarters to be set up. I totally think you should use the tardis doors as the entrance.

33. Absolutely delicious. The guesthostlessful shows are truly enjoyable. Cheers to Nerdist Industries as well. I am shy so that is all.

34. Lee says:

I’m fucking appalled.

You plucked “Burger Salad” for the episode title. And totally stepped over “Pokemon Pussies”?

35. Robert says:

I submit that Jonah Ray can pull off a Rick Allen impression and play the drums with one arm.

36. Garth Marenghi! I love Matt Berry, WHIISSSSSKEY!!
    He’s amazing on IT Crowd. I also love Little Britain, Matt Lucas and David Walliams’ new show Come Fly With Me is so fraking good!
    If you could get Matt Lucas, David Williams, Matt Berry, Chris O’Dowd, or Richard Ayoade as a guest, it would be epic. GET ON THAT.

As soon as I saw the image of Jonah’s Arcade before hearing this episode, I thought…Ha! Noah’s Arcade. I was hoping it was referencing it, very glad to hear it was indeed on purpose.
    Good luck with the pilot Jonah and I hope it get’s picked up and you get it to be what you want it to be.

37. Annecoultersadamsapple says:

You guys should contact Britne Oldford (the black girl from skins) on twitter. From what I’ve seen in interviews she’s wickedly funny and a legit comic book/chorus group geek.

I can’t wait to see you on tour chris.

38. tim says:

i wonder if @MattMira has seen this article where a fellow smart speak-easy worker at another fruit based computer company leaked “secrets” (warning: not really secrets)

39. Magnoliafan says:

Save me Chris Hardwick, you’re my only hope.

40. Lamenstein says:

wait…AND a Doug reference?? LOOOVE IT

41. meaghan says:

I too am a new listener! I love the podcast and listen to it at work which makes my time there feel less like the spiraling pit of boredom that it normally does. So I just had to say thanks for improving my day job if only for an hour a day!
    I also went to the meltdown show on Wednesday which was thoroughly hilarious. I definitely plan to go to more of the shows and more Nerdist IRL events in the future.

42. TiffY G says:

♥ Great podcast once again! Always great to hear your nerdtastic banter! I think it’s so funny how Chris mentions cutting stuff out of the podcast & then Doesn’t! Funny stuff, keep up the geeky tomfoolery…and Don’t knock Pokemon! 😛 Can’t wait to hear the Nathan Fillion podcast – Yeah Browncoats – stay shiny!

43. Anita says:

My headphones broke yesterday, so I’ve now purchased some Tweaked earbuds thanks to the Nerdist! Listening to the new podcast now, thanks :)

44. Will says:

You guys are a ton of fun to listen to. I’m a fairly new listener, but I’ve really liked the 10 or so shows I’ve had the chance to listen to. By the way, those were some awesome vocal skills in the end of this last episode.

Recently I’ve been enjoying a lot of TV/radio from the UK, and I was wondering if you dudes have any favorites from across the pond. “Peep Show” and “The IT Crowd” are two of my favorite comedies. “That Mitchell and Webb Look” (tv sketch comedy) and “That Mitchell and Webb Sound” (radio sketch comedy…..with some of that old timey radio theatre feeling) are brilliant too. There’s also a ton of panel shows in the UK, like “QI (Quite Interesting)” featuring Stephen Fry and some of the most random facts. And I especially dig “Never Mind The Buzzcocks” which is one-half music, one-half washed-up pop star, and three-sixteenths silliness.

Peace out

45. Lamenstein says:

I want the opening song as a ringtone! Excited to see Chris at the Hu Ke Lau in Chicopee, MA April 8th for my birthday! Had Doug Benson there last year, this year Chris…best 2 bdays in a row since I was 8 and got my mini cassette player and Puffalump – holla at my 80’s childhood!

46. Aziz says:

Hey, Love the show… number one fan in kuwait… though i have a feeling that im not competing with many here..but do not despair.. oh Mighty Nerdist.. Nerdism will be Unleashed.. working on it.. just as soon as I unleash Doctor Who here.. !! Until then.. keep doing what you do.. Great show..

47. Brad says:

Bought some sweet Tweaked Audio earbuds this week to help the podcast, keep bringing the great content!

48. Lizabeth says:

ZOMG a new nerdist…… best end to a horrible graveyard shift EVER!!!!! <3 you guys : )

49. Chris Hardwick says:

Thanks, Nick! *fistbump*

50. Nick says:

Just found this podcast a month or so ago, downloaded all your previous episodes last week. ove what you guys do.