Nerdist Podcast #58

Nerdist Podcast #58

Our second guestless cast finds the gents broadcasting from a haunted storage closet at the Punch Line Comedy Club in San Francisco during SF Sketchfest.

1. Chris Hardwick says:

n18pr: Excellent idea. I’ll create a question thread.

adAnt: Yup! We’re recording with Wheaton this week at Smodcastle.

everyone else: you humble us and make us appreciative to be doing what we’re doing. thank you a lot!!!

2. Topher says:

I think these episodes as “Guestless”, I think of the episodes as “Hostfull” far more positive!

3. adAnt says:

Oh, btw. Tell Jonah to put that ‘Perfect Weekend’ story into a script. That’s rom-com gold, son! (not meant as sass, but as genuine appreciation)

4. adAnt says:

Another great podcast.
    1. Wil Wheaton anytime soon?
    2. Anyone you wouldn’t have on the podcast? I swear it’s not meant in a stalkery or asinine way.

5. Jim says:

Great stuff, was hopin to hear that Bob Marley will be on Nerdist. More Sxsw details please.

6. Jamie says:

I really enjoy both the guest and the guestless podcasts either way I seem to come out of each feeling better. Every episode is funny as hell, has alot of good information about the comedy world and everyone (especially Chris) has a really positive upbeat way about them, everybody seems to focus on the positive instead of the negative. I know its not just for show because my wife and I saw Chris at one of his comedy shows and he is very personable we felt like he wanted to be everybodies friend that came to see him. Almost like we were hanging out at a bar and he happened to be there and wanted to make us laugh and thats why I will be a fan and listener for life.
    Also I think you should have that guy, that had the list of ten very specific things, write in every week because I thought that made for really good conversation.

7. Dustinxrx says:

you guys are awesome to listen too just by yourselves. Don’t think celebrity guests are a crutch!!!

8. Scott says:

Great work on the guestless episodes guys. Hope to see more in the future!

9. n18pr says:

Loved the second guestless podcast!!!
    Keep them coming- they are a real treat.
    About half way in, I though, hey wouldn’t it be cool if they took reader questions and BEHOLD, three minutes later you were reading.

However, do you think you could change the question format? E-mail is kind of a hassle, and it stops us from reading each others questions. Could the Q&A possibly be moved to a page on the nerdist or node site? I know I would love to read the assuredly funny questions by fellow nerds.

10. coconutphone says:

Yay another great guestless podcast (even better than the 1st). I have to agree with the punch to the gut feeling when I heard Alex Ross referred to so… generically? The “Some comedian… George Carlin” analogy is pretty apt.

But another wise excellent podcast. I also really appreciated the “Remember your own greatest hits” advice. I will write down that kind of stuff, especially when I’m traveling. It’s an incredible self-esteem booster when you’re feeling low.

Oh BTW: I finally saw “House of 1000 Cotpses” last night. I suggested it as I knew Chris was in it. When I mentioned you by name my friend, who’s heard me mention this podcast/website many times, knew you as “Oh that Nerdist guy! The king of the Nerds.”

11. Wesley Marshall says:

Yeah, I agree with Louis. I’ve been putting in a lot of work toward my music major because if I can do that the rest of my life I’ll be happy. I used to be so not productive. But I started prioritizing and getting shit done. And then I heard this episode, and that list thing you talked about, I started doing that like a month ago in my head. Setting up goals and constantly working toward them makes me happy. And your podcast and the way you see things have confirmed that further. (Now if I can just apply that to getting a job to make a little money, that be good to) Seriously dude I want to get to a point in my life like you did working everyday and loving every minute of it. Ok, hopefully I didn’t ramble and that all made sense.

12. Louis says:

I can’t get enough Nerdist!

You are the reason I’ve pushed myself to be productive!

I used to be abit of a slacker, but seeing how you don’t actually become souless from constantly being busy, it’s inspired me to fulfill my time with constantly filling up my day with tasks.

Thanks for reading my email!

Most of it.

Er. Ah.

13. Chris Hardwick says:

Scott Sanders: WHENEVER YOU WANT. I’ll shoot you an email and we’ll set it up! You are a movie making titan. I just moderated a panel with the Zuckers & Jim Abrahams and I meant to ask them about BD but we ran out of time. Very cool to hear that you listen to the podcast.

14. Scott Sanders says:

Hey Chris, Scott Sanders here… Writer/Director of Black Dynamite. I’m a big fan of Nerdist, and it’s always a kick for me when you mention the flick. Thanks for the continued support! You got me addicted to Brian Atene btw when you mentioned him sounding like Baron Vaughn. I looked that up on Youtube… Hilarious. So you guys been have been guestless now a few times… when can I be on the show?

15. Nathaniel Wedgington Hornswagle III says:

Great frakin show even with the lie.

16. Joey H says:

Even if the podcast had started without guests I would have loved it. I will take up Chris’ advice to start writing things down to get them out of my head and also start to have a “Good day Journal” especially, so my depressed brain can get out of the pit I dig for myself sometimes. :)

17. Joey H says:

Gotta say that I love the guestless episodes. Even if the podcast had started without guests I would have loved it. Feel really connected to you guys. I will take up Chris’ advice to start writing things down to get them out of my head and also start to have a “Good day Journal” especially, so my depressed brain can get out of the pit I dig for myself sometimes. :)

18. Chris Hardwick says:

Wow! The continued response on these eps has been so fantastic! We will keep doing them! Thank you all bunches!

19. Another great Podcast – I really enjoy the guestless podcast, it’s funny to hear you guys just BS! I did get lost a few times in this one (Q_Q) Guess I’m not nerdy enough! BTW I recommend Manga over Comics (less cheesy superheros – more semi-realistic…stuff! LOL)

20. Zach says:

This question has really nothing to do with the podcast, but nice job anyway guys, but was Jonah part of a V/O on the latest episode of Community?

There’s one part that sounds exactly like him.

21. jessica says:

i want to add a couple cents and say i looooove the guestless eps.

also, i will echo Wesley and say that i had the exact same experience – DLM, Sklarbro Country, AND more Nerdist!

fridays are exponentially better with you, dears.

exes, ohs, things,

22. Wesley Marshall says:

You just did ^ Lolz!

23. Ivan says:

So Chris, will you guys be recording on Super Bowl Sunday like usual? (By usual I mean that one time. You know… the first time?)
    (Also I like your “No, we like you guys too.” voice)
    (Also I should stop writing in parentheses so much.)
    (That’s a goal that I had to write down somewhere.)

24. Jesse says:

Just want to say I LOVE these guestless podcasts, PLEASE keep them coming.

(I’m hoping that using ALL CAPS on certain words will convince you even harder.)

25. Ayumi says:

“You need to remember your own greatest hits collection” is going to go down as one of those timeless quotes.

Anyway, can’t wait to start devising amazing emails and/or tweets for you to read on the podcast, hopefully.

26. Tuchman Marsh says:

I want to echo the other people, and mention how much i’ve enjoyed these guestless episodes. You guys are a great group, and I could listen to you guys bullshit for hours.

Have you ever thought of having Greg Mottola on your show? I know you moderated the Paul panel at ComicCon, and with that movie out pretty soon I think he’d be a great guest. Especially because (outside of Kevin Smith, and maybe someone I am forgetting) you haven’t had a movie director on the show, and i’d like to hear how their process works.

27. JD says:

Do a show somewhere in NY and I’ll hit it up for sure.

(If it’s a Friday or Saturday)

Yes, do a show.

Just for me. Asshole.

(I mean that in the gayest way possible.)

28. Alwin says:

Do you want to republish the 10 Magic Things list?

29. kylen says:

don’t shit in your pants, you need those!

30. Benning says:

Truly wonderful! I think you underestimate your own capability to be spontaneously funny: or perhaps you feel that these types of conversations will be outside the bounds of the interest of your normal audience? Either way, I hope these responses have steeled your resolve to make a ton more!

Thank you greatly for making my day so much the better.

31. TheMSpot says:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that awesome painting Alex Ross did awhile back of the Wonder Twins was done as a April fools joke with the now discontinued comics magazine Wizard.

32. Zach says:

Love you guys. Seriously. Keep up the guestless episodes they’re actually turning into my favorites quite quickly.

33. Wesley Marshall says:

I agree with Steven I remember that episode of Boy Meets World. One of my favorite shows of the 90’s. You should see if Rider Strong, Ben Savage, or Will Friedle. Yeah Will Friedle would be fun he does a lot of cartoon voice over work now.

34. Steven says:

Love the Nerdist, best podcast ever. Any chance you guys could get Will Friedle on the show? I’d be curious to hear you guys talk about Boy Meets World and your episode on that show; and also Batman Beyond.

That would be a ginormous nerdgasm for me.

35. NoCalMike says:

Next time you are in Sacramento, I give you full permission to come record a Nerdist episode at my house, with or without a guest…..

There. I said it.

36. Dario says:

If you’ll pardon my Otaku-ness for a bit , I feel like there should be a JonahxMatt (or MattxJonah) sort of Anime-zation/Shojo version of the two. Just hearing the two talk about the involvement in their lives just makes me go “squeeeeeeeeeee!!!”

Anyways, I’m really enjoying the guest-less podcasts and getting to hear you guys talk about yourselves is a nice change of pace. So keep it up and I hope you’ll enjoy your own burrito. 😀

37. Amber says:

Agree, these guestless podcasts are awesome. I was reserving judgement after only one, but now this one…

Love them cuz you guys are great just sitting around being regular dudes shooting the shit.

38. Cate says:

Huzzah! Love these guestless podcasts just as much as the guesty ones. I also really appreciated how polite Chris was to the cleaning crew at the top of the show. I will certainly demand that chest bump you offered in the intro when I see you in Boston!

39. Chris Hardwick says:

Annecoultersadamsapple: I humbly apologize! So…Alex Ross…he’s that guy that painted the fluffy clouds on PBS, right?

40. Greg says:

I gotta say, I really enjoy the guestless episodes. Its like the side episodes of a sci-fi show. You know the plot isn’t going to move forward, but you still get to learn a little more about the characters. I believe a mirror universe episode is needed. Evil goatees anyone?

41. Annecoultersadamsapple says:

Say fellas, could you never talk about comic books ever again.

As a comic book fan I have to say it was soooo alienating to hear fellow nerds say “An artsist named….. alex ross”. It hurt my soul. It would be like hearing someone say “A comedian named…. George Carlin” or ” some guitarist named…. Jimi Hendrix”.

Don’t read any wonder twin comics, mr.ross was being ironic. The podcast was awesome.

42. Wesley Marshall says:

You should totally go Gallifrey One, I’ve never been but a couple of my friends have and I’m going this year. It’s apparently the biggest and longest running DW convention, also it’s conveniently in Los Angles. #I’msuchanerdbutIdgaf

43. Chris Hardwick says:

Wesley: VERY.

44. Wesley Marshall says:

Thank you sir. Just quickly how excited are you for the march season 6 premiere of DW and the July 1st season 4 premiere of Torchwood.

45. Mike P says:

re: bringing your own mic,
    I remember hearing that Mr. T carried his own gold tableware and goblet so that no matter where he was he would eat off of gold.

46. Chris Hardwick says:

Wesley: YOU are nice.

bill gates: I shall post it later today!

47. bill gates says:

48. Wesley Marshall says:

Ok, you just convinced me I’m going to try to go to Sketch Fest next year to see the nerdist podcast live and whatever other people are there that are awesome, that I like. I have to say your podcast got me even more into comedy then I already was. Also, you are now one of my favorite comedians ever. Thank’s Chris 😀

49. Wesley Marshall says:

Literally just finished listening to Doug Loves Movies, now I get to listen to my favorite podcast of all times. Win!! Chris Hardwick you have impeccable timing 😀