Paul F. Tompkins

Nerdist Podcast #33: Paul F. Tompkins

Paul F. Tompkins once yelled at Weird Al, Chris invents a nerd cereal, Jonah loves Morning Zoos and Matt left his glasses in the car. Probably next to a Dave Matthews tape.

Check out all of PFT’s goings-on at paulftompkins.com!

This episode was generously sponsored by Squarespace, the fast and easy way to publish a high-quality website or blog. For a free trial and 10% off your new account, goto Squarespace.com and enter the code NERDIST.

Comments

1. Erin says:

Any chance this one will be re-uploaded? It’s saying “file not found” when I try to play. This is one of the few I haven’t listened to yet! Love the podcast!!

2. my-name-here says:

Checked out the Pod F. Tompkast today while i was at Firestone waiting for my serpentine belt to be changed… It was okay, I really liked the stand up bit of it, I’m going to have to check out more of his stand up. However, I wasn’t really into the whole thing. I’ll give it a few more episodes to decide if I want to keep my subscription.

So far The Nerdist podcast is the only podcast i listen too regularly and look forward to the next episode.

3. hazigurl says:

I have loved every nerdist podcast so far. You have opened my mind organ to many wonderful things. Thanks for making the ad space fun and painless.

4. Crap…

I promise I googled BEFORE I asked, but finally searched the correct words on Wired.com

For everyone else:

5. @nerdist / Chris,

Can you post a link to your Wired article on comedy, featuring Paul & Bob N?

Thanks so much! Really enjoy the podcast.

– @ChristianLeeLiv
    christianleelive.com

6. Jetouellet says:

Chris, do you have any suggestions of any “In Our Time” episodes to listen to first? There’s so many of them and they’re not ordered I have no idea where to start.

7. Ren says:

@Alex it is “In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg.” Good stuff, huge catalogue on nearly any topic. It can get overwhelming.

8. Alex says:

Does anybody the British podcast Chris and thomas talked about thx

9. Jim Payne says:

Yet another solid podcast with another very solid guest. My favorite part of the entire podcast actually came toward the very end of the show where (and I’ll “summarize,” to avoid spoilers here) a potential “hazard” of a nerd picnic was discussed. It was a brief comment that was obviously totally improvised, but I thought it was GENIUS; and I hope someone with better graphics-creating ability than myself makes a picture of this potential scenario, because I think it would be hilarious!

10. FauxNerd says:

I see Chris has been working on his “Amazing’s” but gets points deducted for purchasing a thesaurus for substitutes. I’d hate to be the one to break the news that he’s adopted. I suspect he’s never known that he is the dirty love child of the double rainbow guy and Schoolhouse Rock’s “Interjections!” . Let’s hear it for obscure 70’s Saturday morning cartoon references!

* for those under 30:

11. Joshua Morris says:

For super nerd conversation, get Patton and Posehn on the show…..either might drive you into a 3 hour show discussing Wolverine’s haircut.

12. Ben says:

Found this podcast and really enjoying it. Paul F Tompkins may think he’s better than everyone, but at least he’s right about being funnier than them. Brilliantly snarky!

But come on! How has Marc Maron not been on the show yet?

13. Eric says:

Hate being “that guy” but…. “Weird” is spelled wrong in the description.

14. Ryan says:

I had a dream the other night that I was hanging out with Chris Hardwick only he was fat.

15. Aaron says:

Okay, my favorite comedian on my favorite podcast completely lived up to my expectations. So glad you let it run a bit long, because I could’ve listened to several hours more. Mad props!

16. Rachel says:

PS – Dangit, Chris… I’m trying to get 500 people to agree to see you in Seattle, but I don’t know how to make people join the group.

17. Rachel says:

Great podcast! By the end I was shocked at how much I liked Paul F. Tompkins, and how sweet and nice he is. But I also feel bad, because why would I assume before now that he isn’t sweet?

Anyway. Keep ‘em coming!

18. Sara says:

OK, now I’ve finished listening to it! I really would have loved a series of episodes with PFT. I’m already sad the episode is over. But then, I feel that way about most episodes.

If you have a chance to see PFT live, I demand that you do. I saw him a few months ago at a tompkins300 show in Madison and it was absolutely fantastic.

19. Sara says:

Cannot wait to listen! Everything that is awesome must converge.

20. Ezy Action says:

Cant wait to listen. PFT is hilarious. Ohhhhhh, and the Dave Matthews zingers are back! I guess you deserve it when you admit to liking such things in public. Lol

21. Jung says:

I don’t think Paul is a nerd but I do think he is an intellectual. I don’t get his humor 100% but I really like the guy.

22. Samantha says:

I thought you had made my morning by putting up a new podcast today but now by reponding to my comment…my morning has officially been made.

23. Jeff says:

Haven’t listened yet, but did they discuss the Pod F Tomkast? I need another episode, the first and only one so far was AMAZING! ;)

24. Walter says:

When was a podcast with Bill Maher?

25. Chris Hardwick says:

You’re right. For some reason I was thinking of “The Sweet Hereafter” Ian Holm and not “LOTR” Ian Holm, or even “Time Bandits” Ian Holm.

26. Samantha says:

I expect a lot of nerds to know Ian Holm. Lord of the Rings. Brazil. Come on Chris.

27. Draper says:

Another great one!
    Nathan Fillion!

28. Mike says:

Podcast Violation!! (3 Stars)
    Aug.3, 2010
    Don’t start a podcast with “Good evening,” or any other timeframe reference. Doh!

29. Brian says:

PFT on the Nerdist!! I can’t wait to listen- It’s like Christmas, only it feels a little hotter here in Georgia. BTw, I just saw that you (Mr. Hardwick) are gonna be at the Laughing Skull soon, and I look forward to seeing you live. Last time you were here you played at a college and I couldn’t attend. Love the podcast, and I love PFT.