Drew Carey

Nerdist Podcast #2: Drew Carey

I recently became pals with Drew and am pleased to report that he is every bit as sweet and affable as he is on the TV. To score even more Awesome Points, it’s also crystal clear that he adores the craft of comedy itself. I am always inspired and gratified by really cool people who hit it big. I will definitely have him back on for more podcast shenanigans. I love that guy!

Episode 2: Drew Carey exists in Second Life, Chris uses a robot toilet, Jonah demands the whole show be in 8-bit and Matt likes the Dave Matthews Band.

Comments

1. Tillburg says:

Wow never knew Drew was so ingrained into Second Life. As a man with a couch for arms: I know your pain brother!

2. toonsmyth says:

The easter egg seems to have disappeared, but I found the clip of Drew’s first Tonight Show appearance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oKvuxsMexI

3. Marcus says:

Can you be a comedian in 2nd life? Oh screw it i’ll just keep failing at being one in 1st life.

4. Gwif says:

I’m trying to catch up on old podcasts, but the link to the mp3 here no longer works.

5. Chris Hardwick says:

EASTER EGG ALERT!

Click the picture of Drew & Johnny at the top of this post…

6. I’ve been trying to find video of his carson appearance, does anyone have a link to where I can see it? thaaaaaanks

7. My Friend Joker says:

I absolutely COULD NOT find Anamanaguchi online… turns out I was looking for Onomatoguchi, which doesn’t exist.

8. Rick says:

That’s not what nonplussed means.

9. Justin says:

I listened to all the podcasts you have put out so far and this one was easily the best and funniest. Drew Carey was much different than I thought he would be, especially his mention of being saved. You have to have him in (or on) more podcasts.

10. thecrazyamerican says:

wow love the podcast.

11. cheflarz says:

Great Podcast! Nerdist is going to be one of the all time great podcasts on the web. This is a medium that entertainment is making it’s own. Definitely the best way to engage your base. I’ve been following Chris on Twitter and have thought he is one of the funniest comedy people period. I just downloaded all the Drew Carey Show episodes and will be re-visiting that brilliant show in the weeks to come. Thanks for the great stuff. I’d like to hear what you guys have to say about Chuck Barris and maybe have The Unknown Comic on sometime. Stay Gold!

12. nhlcyclesophist says:

Best part had to be the story about Hardwick’s dad being shot down by a foreign hunchback. I almost had beer come out of my nose while laughing.

13. Andrew Kolvek says:

Chris, this was absolutely brilliant. Drew was great, hope to hear him on future episodes. I nearly drove into the curb laughing at the one-liners.

14. Chris Hardwick says:

Theme song by Anamanaguchi

15. Rosie says:

oh, and when the podcast ended with “now leaving nerdist.com” my computer randomly shut down and it scared the shit out of me. podcast magic?

16. Rosie says:

this is amazing. you should actually do the notebook clean out thing, because i would love to hear the kind of stuff you guys come up with, even if its bad. it will probably make it all the funnier.

17. Nernja says:

How’s about a spelling of the opening theme band.

18. AgentEd says:

I miss the first theme song – damn!

I wonder what wonderful them we’ll get next week?

19. Chris Gee says:

good show, lots of respect for Drew

20. Chris Hardwick says:

Thanks for your nice words, nerdlings! The easter egg on this post is that you get Drew’s first Carson set if you click the pic of it at the top.

I realize this ruins the concept of a hidden link, but sooner or later you tell your kids at Easter, “Ok, there! The egg is right THERE. Under that bucket!”

Not knowing where stuff is has a short pleasure half-life.

21. S says:

On YouTube is Drew’s Johnny Carson set, and the joke he cracks to Ed Mcmahon is how he was on won his first star search show, and then lost the next one. The guy he lost to was named Joe Yanetty, and he is currently a comic on sone Norwegian cruise line. Star search wasn’t a career maker I guess.

22. Clarke A Green says:

“Four flusher” does not, as Drew asserts, refer to flushing toilets.
    It is in reference to bluffing a poker hand by claiming or representing that one has a flush (five cards of the same suit) when only having four of the same suit.
    Generally it means someone who is a pretender, a chiseler, a cheater.

23. Deltus says:

Drew is damned funny. That clip of him on Carson, comedy gold right there.

24. ..quite fascinating. It makes me want to get one of those wands to wash my ass with. The only downside I see, is that my wife may never leave the toilet if that wand is available. That sounds like a great neutralizer for a woman’s naughty bits.

Anyways, Drew Carey seems like a really cool guy. Very humble and very nice to everyone, which is what you want from a comedian in my mind. The Drew Carey Show was really good when it was on and they did break many boundaries and turn the whole sitcom on it’s side over quality and diversity in prime time. I love how he said his cast was badass and could do improv with the best of them. It was his “Fuck You” to the other sitcoms out there, that made me laugh a lot. Go Drew!

When is the reunion show? I am looking forward to that. I think they could easily do that show in a few years when all of them are old men and it would be funnier than ever. Kind of a Grumpier Old Men type of Drew Carey show. I know that would be funny.

Michael

25. Great episode, much better than the lopsided audio on the first one. The robot toilet conversation was not only hilarious, but also

26. @ryanspratt says:

This is the funniest podcast ever to be recorded in a bathroom.

27. danniel says:

Freaking hilarious (freaking sounds weird, but I didn’t want to use the word ‘fucking’ in case any kids happen to read this, which they might because I’ve been strongly recommending this podcast to kids). The opening theme was great by the way. And this Chris Hardwick character is fastly becoming one of my more favoriter (yes it’s a word) celebrities (yes he’s sort of a celebrity). If you haven’t seen Christ Hardwick’s interview on the Kevin Pollak Chat Show you must watch that now, it’s hilarious and the best two hours I’ve ever spent not masturbating.

Born Standing Up is a good book and a quick and easy read which I would recommend to all men and most women. I’m starting Craig Ferguson’s autobiography and looking forward to that. Just thought I’d mention that due to the whole Drew Carey relationship.

Keep up the good work Mr. Hardwick.

28. Chris Hardwick says:

eltejano: Steve Martin’s ‘Born Standing Up’ is amazing if you’re a fan of Steve’s stand-up, which I am. He was my original comic idol and the book outlines his life up until the time he quit performing. I recommend the audio version, because he reads it.

Maybe other folks can weigh in on what comedian-penned books they like…

29. Kijan says:

himynameisnick i miss that show : (

30. eltejano says:

Question about books-
    You mention the Steve Martin book Born Standing Up, and the Belzer book in the podcast- are there a bunch of books that you and your peers liked more than others, or perhaps came to like/recommend that you didn’t know the others had read and liked too?

oh, and thanks for getting the volume fixed in this podcast
    thanks

31. i am digging the Pod cast, Man!! it kinda reminds me of when Jon Favreau did Dinner for Five on IFC. so rad.

32. Amrehlu says:

Damn, you’re going to have trouble having episodes that are funnier then that. Loved the hell out of it, eagerly awaiting the next episode!

33. Bucky Sinister says:

Loving this. See you at the Punchline

34. Stacy says:

FUNNIEST. SHOW. EVER!

35. @BeauRyan says:

rad 8bit theme song.

36. Duder says:

Love it! All the one liners and knock knock jokes killed me. I hope you do that ep of you guys just going through old joke books.

My new favorite podcast!

37. Allan says:

loved it very funny cant wait till next one