Connie Britton

Nerdist Podcast #157: CONNIE BRITTON

Connie Britton talks about transitioning from the sitcom world to shows you may have heard of like “Friday Night Lights” and “American Horror Story”. AND she’s a twin. PLUS she spent two years in the bureaucratic brambles of the African adoption system to get her son, Yobi. ALSO, she is truly hilarious. Now that I think about it, she may be perfect.

1. apsutter says:

This is one of the funniest ones I’ve heard yet. She is freakin hilarious and I loved her on American Horror Story. Listening to this has made me want to search out and watch everything she’s ever been in. I also absolutely LOVE how they talked about that horrible x-mas song!!! The line that stuck with me from that piece of crap is that jack-ass Bono singing “Tonight thank God’s its them instead of you.” Everytime I hear that I want to reach through the speaker and punch him in his smug self-satisfied rock star mouth!

2. SlimCharles says:

I am going to be an asshole, but I found her annoying in every TV show I saw her in. But this was one of the best episodes of the podcast ever! She is really nice and funny. Although she watches only sitcoms, which sounds like real torture, but to each his own, I guess :)

3. ShawnD says:

I really enjoyed this ep because she was a lot funnier than I was expecting, and it was great to hear about her adoption experience (as an adopted parent myself, albeit not from Africa or anywhere international). But, I was a little disappointed that they didn’t cover a lot of the topics they usually do with folks – like what it was like to work on certain shows or with certain people. I was a huge Friday Night Lights fan and they hardly talked about it all…just a few minutes at the end and then it was just “how’d you end up there?” and that was all. So to whoever asked before, no spoilers definitely. I actually would have loved to have heard more about AHS too, since I watched all of that. Even though this went up before the finale aired, I wish she had talked some about plans for the next season (if there are any?). So, what was in there was great, but what wasn’t in there was disappointing.

4. ArtChemist says:

You need to get Connie back on the show to really talk about American Horror Story. A lot of great actors are on the show & Connie is awesome! The first episode gave me nightmares. And let’s not talk about the opening titles; babies, jars, etc. It is one of the best shows on TV..

5. d.y says:

love connie britton so much, she is absolutely amazing! i will watch/listen to anything shes in, and I love that shes hilarious!

6. Patrick says:

Connie Britton is quite hot and now a MILF.

7. gladly says:

I’m a regular listener to the podcast, but I thought this was an especially good and interesting episode. I have the pleasure of knowing two adopted children from Ethiopia, and Connie Britton’s documentary is sorely needed. There’s been a bit of a backlash against overseas adoption recently (which isn’t unproblematic, I understand), so it’s especially good to show the agencies that are doing good work. I hope she finishes it soon!

8. Rob S. says:

I was an extra on the movie FNL. I liked Connie on Spin City.

9. ColinJ says:

Great interview. But I’m a bit disappointed you didn’t even touch SPIN CITY. I’d really like to hear Connie’s opinions n Michael J. Fox and Charlie Sheen, both then and now.

10. Ryan says:

I thought one of you would say that the Very Special Episode of American Horror Story would be about a teenage girl that everyone thought had bulimia but was actually just possessed. This episode was really funny and I’m glad Matt kept going for the psychic twins thing.

11. CQ says:

Connie Britton is so amazing! Loved her especially on FNL and AHS! Now let’s get my favorite person in the world Lauren Graham on this show!

12. rebecca says:

I didn’t know until listening to the podcast that Boxing Day originated in giving! These days, Boxing Day in Canada is pretty much a slightly less intense Black Friday, except after Christmas instead of Thanksgiving.

13. Murphy1d says:

14. Nick says:

What a great fucking podcast. she totally seems like a cool person to hang out with.

15. hmu says:

Lauren fukken Graham. NOW!

Connie is nice, will definitely check out her show.

16. Roger Clendening II says:

Chris used to hang out with Lauren Graham?! Wow, you have got to get her onto the podcast. I became a great fan of hers after I was certified as the Only Black Male Viewer of “The Gilmore Girls,” ’00-’01. I got a plaque.

17. Bill says:

Is it me or do all men in their mid forties fall madly in love Connie Britton? I listen at work. I want to leave my job, drive to LA from VT and help her raise her child. Will she like my 16 year old daughter? I’m an IT guy?? Do you think she’ll call me???

18. Jill says:

+1,000,000 to get Lauren Graham. Holy crap that would be awesome.

<3 Connie! Seriously, get the kick starter up! I would definitely donate!!

19. Aj says:

“I’m sorry we just put that song in everybodys heads”
    I don’t think you’re that sorry at all Chris.

20. erik2690 says:

Ian, I have to say you are just incorrect in my opinion. There may well of been one awkward thing said by Matt I cant exactly recall what it was, but Connie honestly didnt seem thrown by it at all. And that cancelled out by all the nice moments Matt had in the podcast. For example, when Connie found out his former job and said how sexy that was. It was just an awesome little like puff out your chest moment for Matt. I loved this episode and I will admit it was mostly because of Chris and Connie reuniting and catching up, but Matt certainly added to the fun not detracted from it. Thanks, much love to Chris, Matt , and Connie for this episode. hopefully Jonah isnt MIA again next time, we all love him too.

21. Ian from Baltimore says:

Why do I feel like I am always busting on Matt M. I felt like Chris and Connie were vibing because of their past “friendship” (don’t lie to us Hardwick….you and CB totally got wasted one night and banged on the couch)…..sorry…tangent…….I just felt like while the two of them were vibing and catching up, Matt was clammed up and looking for his in. Unfortunately, every time he chimed in, it was a bad and ill timed joke. Connie called him on it a couple times and laughed it off (like the time she told him to go fix a computer) but to me, it felt awkward. It’s like he was the third wheel on this cast.

sorry for being a downer….. it was still a great cast. Love you guys (including you Mira). CB is so sexy, even in her 40’s.

22. Mandy W. says:

Hey Guys!
    <- Virginia chick who listens to the podcast every week. Also, I DID go to the show in DC last Friday, you guys kicked much ass and are so unbelievably nice! Keep up the nerdtastic work!

23. Nick Sierra says:

I found Steve Hardwick… The age is exactly right, it has to be him.

24. Kirsten says:

Seriously-get on that Kickstarter idea! I would absolutely donate.
    Also, after you have charmed Lauren Graham on the podcast, get her bf Peter Krause-because it’s just that easy;)

25. Matt Schultz says:

I would also like to know the name of the song from the pre show intro. It has also been used by Rooster Teeth before, but i cannot find the name of it anywhere!

26. JE Smith says:

I also remember that episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY (hard to imagine anyone forgetting it once they’ve seen it) — the most harrowing part was when Edith, in a heartbreaking moment that shows she has given up on escape, says to the rapist, “Can we do this without kissing?” Chills! Stapleton was definitely an underrated actress.

27. JE Smith says:

Like others, I’ve had a huge crush on Connie since SPIN CITY. Such a babe! And I agree, PLEASE get Lauren Graham on! Adore her!

And hey, where was Jonah?

28. cubicalgirl says:

I can’t believe I am responding to this but that All in the Family ep where Edith almost got raped scarred me for life (I saw the episode when I was way to young to watch something like that).

A guy conned his way into the house by saying he was a cop or something (and had a fake badge). He tied Edith up and got the back of her dress partly unzipped (more on this later) when she started to tell him about a cake or something in the oven that was going to burn (or had started to brun and they smelled it). He took her into the kitchen to get the cake out and she smashed the hot pan in his face and ran to the neighbor’s house (everyone was there for a party and they were waiting for her). She was freaking out and trying to tell eveyone what happened and I specifically remember her friend zipping up the back of Edith’s dress while Edith was blubbering.

This freaked me out SO MUCH and to this day I (I’m in my mid-30’s) I will not watch All in the Family.

29. Patrick says:

Wonderful podcast! I have such a huge crush on Connie Britton from her TV work but had never really heard an interview.

30. Zach Boblitt says:

I am so glad Connie is truly hilarious and not falsely hilarious. Anyway another great episode of a great podcast!!!

31. Sarah says:

I’m going to add another vote for Lauren Graham on a future episode. She’s one of my favorite actresses on TV.

I just started watching FNL on Netflix – are there any mega-spoilers in this podcast?

32. Teague D says:

Man, I had such a crush on Connie when she was on Spin City. That show was pretty fantastic for the first couple of seasons. Great ep!

33. Vincent S says:

This was an oddly great episode (odd since one of the main topics aren’t usually in the podcast). :/ I just enjoyed the baby talk for some reason. Maybe it’s because it’s rare (iirc) on the Nerdist podcast.

Also +1 for future Lauren Graham vote. Maybe Chris won’t hit on her by now… but who can’t, she’s gorgeous!

34. Logan says:

Hi.. I’m from virginia. We love you guys!

35. jen says:

Do they know it’s Christmas?

You guys were right on about the arrogance, and the intention. That song is just oozing imperialist style condescension. Gross. But yes, it did some good.

36. Matt says:

Please get Lauren Graham on the podcast!

37. Absolutely loved this — huge FNL fan. And seeing as Matt mentioned him during the Kickstarter discussion, Scott Mosier should totally appear on an episode of Nerdist.

38. harx1 says:

First David Tennant and now Connie Britton. Get someone from the cast of West Wing and you’ll have hit my trifecta. Seriously, this is awesome.

39. Kristen says:

That was one of the best things I’ve ever listened to! I fucking love Connie Britton (even more now), and now I f-ing love you guys, too!

40. Daniel says:

Clear Eyes.
    Full Hearts.
    Can’t Lose.

Texas Forever.

41. erik2690 says:

Great podcast! I love hearing Chris and Connie catch up on the podcast and it was just a fun and funny episode. I certainly wouldnt mind hearing Connie on again as a repeat guest, she was great.

42. Alyssa says:

Chris, have you never heard Patton Oswalt’s joke about that horrible Christmas shoe song?!

43. Ali says:

Yeah, sorry…I should have been more specific. MikeSol is correct. I’m familiar with Anamanguchi. I was asking about the song that was playing while Chris was talking, but thanks to everyone all the same. :-)

44. Gio32k says:

Wonder Twin powers, activate!

45. Gio32k says:

@Ali That song is called “Jetpack Blues, Sunset Hues” by Anamanguchi.

46. MikeSol says:

Charles i think he is talking about the jazzy beat in the first part of the podcast while chris is talking.

47. Charles says:

jetpack blues, sunset hues by anamanaguchi is the theme song

48. Ali says:

Horrible quemment, but what’s the song used in the intro? I really like it in a weird relaxing way. Thanks!

49. Trenton says:

Will there ever NOT be a flood of curse words after someone asks if they can swear?