Penn & Teller

Nerdist Podcast #130: PENN & TELLER

Okay! It’s really a solo Penn Jillette show. But I knew Teller wouldn’t talk anyway so I just listed it as “Penn & Teller”. Thought that would be clever and amusing. As I’m typing it, I can see now that I was wrong. Too lazy to delete it all and start over though, despite the fact that it would actually take me less time to do that than to explain and disclaim it. I’m weird! I’m a crazypants! Cock-a-doodle-SQUEEEEEE!!!

All squeeing aside, Penn was a truly wonderful guest. We talked about the space program, song poems, bowling, his new show on Discovery “Penn & Teller Tell A Lie“, PLUS we got the full little person/chimp story that I referenced to Adam Savage on Nerdist Podcast #10. This episode is like a suitcase full of steak! PACKED and MEATY. Also delicious. #goodtimes

Comments

1. matt avery says:

Penn is now my hero for hipping people to Song-Poem.Being a S-P fanatic/collector who feels everyone NEEDS to experience the Real People joy of S-P even though it means I’ll probably have a harder time winning S-P records on E-BAY!……KALIBAHLU

2. Greg Shope says:

I love Penn Jillette’s stories! That’s why I listen to Penn’s Sunday School as well as The Nerdist. That little person and chimp story was my favorite! :)

3. Jacob says:

Wow, this was a great podcast! Tall tales galore, (laugh-out-loud to the monkey-yarn) but I especially loved the theories about filtering when discussing song poems. Wow. Great stuff.

4. NVS says:

Heya Nerdests! I made a remix of the “Blue Atoms” song at the end of this podcast . http://soundcloud.com/n_v_s/nvs-blue-atoms-wav Enjoy!

5. Gabriel says:

Really. what a fantastic episode. One of the best. I don’t care where this guy falls politically. he’s a fascinating listen, like Proops.

6. Shelly says:

Lovely podcast, but as always not recommended for listening to on public transport – subway passengers REALLY hate unbridled laughter during their morning commutes for some reason :/

Anyway, any chance the fine folks at Nerdist Industries could convince Teller to break character long enough to actually do a podcast? I know he used to talk to fans during the intermission when Penn & Teller were touring, and Teller was very knowledgeable and engaging when it came to discussing comic books and the creators on those books. That sort of enthusiasm for things geek doesn’t often exist in isolation.

Thanks, guys.

7. ron says:

This episode was awesome – probably in my top 5 of all Nerdists ever! Thank you so much!

8. Tom says:

I remember the first time I saw Penn & Teller on SNL back in high school – they did the old cut-and-restored rope trick, but with a live snake – and they left out the restoring part, and just cut to commercial with the bleeding loops of cut up snake in their hands. So awesome. Animal rights people completely lost it of course. (OBVIOUSLY IT WAS A TRICK). I was an instant fan, and finally had the chance to see them live in Vegas a couple years ago, and it was one of the best shows I’ve seen. It was funny in parts, mind-boggling in others, but what struck me was a couple illusions they did that were just beautiful – artistic, poetic, with layers of meaning… they change their show often, so I have no idea what it’s like now, but it was amazing. And, they both came out afterward, signed books, took pictures, chatted with fans, and were super nice and engaging.

Anyway, all that to say, I’m a big fan – I don’t agree with everything Penn says, but he’s smart, thoughtful, talented, and not afraid to state his opinion, which I respect – and this was an AMAZING episode. I grinned for an hour an 20 minutes. I hope you can have him back on, I’d love to hear about his early days in the Renaissance Festival. And Zombies! Don’t you know what his fav movie is? How did this not come up?!

9. marilove says:

What does that have to do with Penn? Nothing.

10. John says:

Like I said, he’s been a libertarian for a long time. I actually give him credit for being an actual libertarian and wouldn’t include him in the group I was describing in the second half of my post.

The problem is these days that label (libertarian) has been hijacked by people who support the Tea Party, or politicians who seek support or votes from the Tea Party. Libertarian is often used to mean either just an extreme Republican, or someone laser focused on economic freedom but couldn’t give a damn about actual liberty for people when it comes to social issues. Independent is a label often self-applied by Republicans who see people’s perception of the GOP and don’t want to be associated with rich white guys or rednecks.

11. John says:

The problem is these days that label (libertarian) has been hijacked by people who support the Tea Party, or politicians who seek support or votes from the Tea Party. Libertarian is often used to mean either just an extreme Republican, or someone laser focused on economic freedom but couldn’t give a damn about actual liberty for people when it comes to social issues. Independent is a label often self-applied by Republicans who are intelligent enough to see people’s perception of the GOP and don’t want to be associated with rich white guys or rednecks.

12. Maggie says:

John,

Penn identifies as Libertarian.

13. marilove says:

In the same podcast, he also talks about he finds it astounding that someone could “love” Richard Nixon….

People are nuanced. Just because he made a crack at Jimmy Carter doesn’t mean he’s a secret Republican. Further, from what I could gather, he never said he disliked Carter. He was essentially commenting on how the majority of America thought of Carter, which is of a kind of useless president. He never even claimed he agreed with that sentiment. You’re reading a lot into a few little comments.