THE MUPPETS!

Nerdist Podcast #13: THE MUPPETS!

Yes, THE MUPPETS. The Muppets came on my wee podcast to discuss the Entertainment Business, balancing home/work, digital culture and their recent Webby nominations for their sublimely delightful cover of “Bohemian Rhapsody”. They were thoughtful, articulate and generally wonderful. As a lifelong fan of their work, chatting with them may have been the single greatest moment of my life. It’s a fun, candid interview so I hope you enjoy it!

SIDENOTE: You can still vote for Bohemian for ‘Best Viral’ and ‘Best Music Video’ until April 29th RIGHT HERE. Do it!

Comments

1. David says:

The problem remains that Disney, when it bought the Muppets, immediately set about trying to find no-name replacements for all the voices, so they could fire the expensive ones.

I will never forgive Disney for the special feature on Season 2 when the Muppets pretend like they’ve forgotten who Jim Henson was.

2. Natasha says:

I love your podcasts so much I wish I could enslave you into making a new one each day! That being said, the Muppets was the worst. They sound nothing like the Muppets I remember.

Mild disappointment aside, when are you going to have Wil Wheaton on?! I’m waiting!

3. Nick says:

Why does Miss Piggy sound like a pre-surgery tranny?

4. LATaurus says:

It was funny and clever, but the voices are just not as good as they used to be. I realize it’s hard to duplicate anyone’s voice exactly but they really need to get a better Miss Piggy.

5. AgentEd says:

Love me some Muppets, but on a serious note -Pepe should be a regular on the show.

That due drops some knowlege!

6. smartbunny says:

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew sounds just like John Hodgman. They look similar too… HEYWAITAMINUTE

7. Jung says:

I don’t care if they’re not the original Muppets crew. I freakin LOVE the Muppets!! LOVE.

Any kind of muppet podcast is eons ahead of no muppet podcst.

MUPPETS!!

8. swagers says:

Awesome podcast this week! Next week Stan Lee!!! Excelsior!

9. Argonuts and I says:

Fozzie: Do you write jokes?
    Chris: I do enjoy jokes.

Funny moment

10. Chris Hardwick says:

CT: well, no worries. Sorry you didn’t enjoy this one as much. Maybe you’ll dig next week’s ep with Stan Lee. In any case, happy nerd lunching!

And heaps of thanks to the rest of you delightful kids!

11. Young Words says:

the next muppet viral video should be Rowlf pulling a Ben Folds chatroullete!

12. Chris,

Sorry to presume this podcast was scripted. I guess the fact that there bits with sound effects and such led me to believe it was at least more pre-planned that your previous 12 excellent podcasts. But you say it’s not scripted and I take you at your word.

Again, I think it’s very cool that you got to do it and based on the passion you had when talking about the Muppets in show #12, I’m really happy for you. Maybe I just got my expectations for it set too high. Muppets + Nerdist podcast sounded like a great formula, but for me personally, it just didn’t deliver.

I’m looking forward to hopefully many more Nerdist podcasts.

13. Patti says:

Thanks so much for doing a podcast with The Muppets. I thought it was great! My husband was listening as well and we were both laughing. He said “That’s pretty crazy.” I can only interpret that as a positive comment. Boo to the person who thought this was scripted. Glad you set him straight. :)

14. CW says:

Being a long-time Muppets fan, I loved this podcast. Chris, can you give us the behind-the-scenes details? In other words, can you tell us which “humans” were involved, and how the podcast came to be?

What I’d really like to hear is a “straight” Nerdist Podcast featuring the voices behind the Muppets, particularly Dave Goelz.

15. Amy says:

Thanks for the Muppet podcast! How could anyone have a bad thing to say? Muppets. Chris. Fun.

Don’t mean to bring down the mood, but I can’t not think about Sad Kermit. If you’ve seen these, like, years ago… Then watch them again and stop being so snotty! I don’t have any connection to them other than the sadness. And love. There’s love there too. Good stuff.

If the link doesn’t do it, just search YouTube for Sad Kermit.

p.s. I love your podcast more than a lot of things. You should do it at least every day. Maybe twice on Tuesday. One of those things. I’m so happy about the quick posting you’ve done lately. 7 days can be a long time. I can quit any time I want. Just sayin’.

16. jessica says:

oh man. man.

so happy.

thank you so much, yay!!

17. Chris Hardwick says:

Wow, CT from Nerd Lunch, you sure told me!

No this wasn’t scripted. I’m not sure why you would presume that. It was just supposed to be a loose conversation with the Muppets, and I am quite happy with the result. Tell you what…YOU get the Muppets in for an interview and you can handle it however you like!

Thanks for your feedback, though! You seem really fun.

18. Carissa says:

Oh gadz, when I leave a comment it reloads the page and starts the podcast over. Forehead slap.

19. Carissa says:

I’ve replayed this part 3 times:

Chef: Mummurph muff hmmm hrrffff schheeeeby mmurfer

‘Really, so you really think Myspace is still relevant? And how many Twitter followers do you have? Oh ok.’

20. semicolonoscopy says:

This kept me smiling, scripted or not. Fun stuff.

21. devilfunk says:

This is the first Nerdist podcast that I skipped!

22. While it was cool that you got to do a podcast with the Muppets, the (presumably) scripted interview format really detracted from what should have been a great show. About the only time I laughed was when Fozzie told Chris to not do impressions. Of course, I only laughed due to the irony that the guy actually saying that was doing subpar Fozzie and Piggy impressions himself.

I think I would have preferred a show where Chris was interviewing the Muppet performers just as themselves rather than the characters. Maybe next time…

23. Jess says:

Best. Podcast. Ever!!!

@jesskry

24. What an excellent time. The Honeydew & Beaker bits are gold!

25. Jordan Peters says:

The last time i saw a muppet was on the ever so changing Lady GaGa……was that a ball sac?? anywayz, it’s nice to finally hear from Kormit and Ms. Piggy…Why so pushy GIRL?? Luv U GaGa.

26. Shannon says:

Was at Disney last week. On the bus back to our resort, people started singing Bohemian Rhapsody (it was on the radio). I went with the Muppet voices, and basically, entertained myself.
    Also, I won a Webby in 2001. You have to come up with a 5-word speech. What would yours be?

27. Radagast says:

What’s with the sarcasm Mailman – some of us would rather have good Muppetry instead of half-assed Muppetry. It’s nice you’re not very particular, but I’m afraid I have a good memory, and do not WORSHIP the Muppets, although I used to enjoy them. I agree that the podcast was fun in some places but mostly disappointing. Piggy’s voice sucked. The fight with her and Kermit sucked. Fozzie sounds pretty odd too. I’m not a hater or a skeptic. I have standards. Obviously you don’t.

28. @StevoAtoZ says:

It’s Muppetmania on lucky Nerdist PodCast #13! Jim Henson would have been, ( or is }Proud !

29. Jen says:

Chris–how AWESOME is it that you got your very own Waldorf and Statler heckle?!?!!? VERY few people can boast that! Well done, sir, well done.

30. Tiffany P. says:

I agree with Scott – the Muppets aren’t the same anymore. And frankly I think that, aside from Bohemian Rhapsody, they’re not that good anymore. I think the character that has suffered the most is Miss Piggy. That did NOT sound like her in that podcast. Are the people who are in control of the Muppets now aware of how bad she sounds? She’s badly written for too, if that’s any indication.

And I used to be a big fan. I tried to get my kids interested in them, but they think they’re kind of, well, lame. So they told me. Some things don’t appeal to all generations, I guess.

31. mailman says:

@haters and @skeptics:

While I’ll admit I was a tiny bit put off by the voices, I think the reasons are that a) they’re not the original actors, but more importantly, b) you don’t often just HEAR the Muppets. I think seeing them talk makes a big difference in coming to terms with voice actors dying and people taking over the legacy, as much as I’d love find out that they are working on somehow reanimating Jim Henson’s vocal chords specifically for my Muppet-ertainment.

32. Chris says:

Just converted to your podcasts (thanks to the Adam Savage one) and enjoying them.

DEFINATELY getting this one the second I get home!!!

@laura – Frank Oz does very little with the Muppets anymore, he is too busy directing, and really has had little interest since both Henson and Richard Hunt (the 4th main voice) died. The only ones still there of the original crew is Dave Goletz (Gonzo, Dr. Honeydew). Steve Whitmore is the one who took over most of Henson’s voices after he passed, but he was trained by Henson as a backup.

33. Ryan says:

that was great. I would love to listen to a podcast of just you and Fozzy that was some really really good stuff.

34. Lara says:

I think Frank Oz is still a big part of it.

35. Scott says:

I can’t handle any of the Muppet stuff since Jim Henson died. The voices just aren’t right anymore, are any of them still the original actors?

36. Tony says:

Is it just me, or does Ms. Piggy sound a little like Emo Philips in this interview?

37. Sara says:

This Podcast was soo much fun! The Muppets were great and Chris was excellent with them.

“Should I be tasting fire right now?”

38. annabel lee los angeles says:

YAY! Obviously, I love the Muppets, but I have to call myself out as an even bigger Muppet Babies fan and am glad they mentioned MBs and the Star Trek and Star Wars parodies. They did it before Family Guy, folks!

39. I was once brutally attacked (comment-wise) for doing a Muppets parody. Can’t parody be a form of love as well?

Would have loved to be in the Muppets studio with you. So many voices. Great interview.

40. ZebraBob says:

My cat is staring at me from her nearly empty food bowl, clearly scowling at me as I laugh along with the Muppets instead of attending to her needs!
    …Whoops! I KNOW that look! Gotta GO!

41. Ryan Hatch says:

I am a huge Muppet fan so this was definitely a huge treat.

But did any one think Ms. Piggy’s voice sounded really off? I know Frank Oz no longer voices the character, but it was really apparent in this podcast.

42. Totally awesome. I love the Muppets! I grew up with The Muppets, Sesame Street, & Fraggle Rock. Love the Muppet Studios. Thanks for sharing this.

43. Jesse says:

Chris, after listening to over five of your podcasts now, you have successfully warped my mind enough to laugh like a 12 year old boy when I read that first line, “The Muppets came on my wee”

44. Starr says:

I grew up with the Muppets, and have adored them my entire life. TY for doing this.

45. Emily says:

Holy crap. Awesome.

46. starlollie says:

Uhhh does Damian from OK Go know about this cause for some reason I imagine him looking high and crying.

47. Caitlin says:

Yay!!!! I cant believe how amazing this podcast is…Thank you for bringing me such awesomeness

48. Marty says:

I’m listening to this and I can’t stop smiling!

Great way to start my Tuesday – thanks, Chris!

49. Mary says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

50. Tanya says:

OMG – glad to find another Muppetphile! My husband thinks I’m crazy for loving them but my kids think they’re cool. Totally enjoyed the podcast, dude. Thanks for sharing.