Big Bang Theory

Nerdist Podcast #123: BIG BANG THEORY

Yes! The cast of the “Big Bang Theory”! All of them!!! Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Kunal Nayyar, Simon Helberg, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch. Also on hand were EPs Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady and Steve Molaro. Recorded at San Diego Comic-con 2011.

This episode will be more enjoyable than a spontaneous orgasm generated by chewing off the ears of a chocolate bunny while riding a hoverboard to high five the universe’s boobs! #WhatDidIJustWrite

Comments

1. Free Cowboy Hats says:

Shitty show. Should apologize to actual big bang theory.

2. Kyle Steed says:

Wow! This actually makes me want to give the show a shot. I’ve sort of looked past the show because of the sitcom/laugh track aspect of it, but it seems like a really genuine show. I think I’ll give a shot.

3. kt says:

Decent podcast, but I really hate this show.

It’s just not that funny. I could make a long list of sitcoms that are worthy of my laughter…Big Bang Theory is not one of them.

4. Ryan says:

I think the cast sounded a bit awkward in the beginning, and of course that changed as they loosened up with more questions.

Another great cast, thanks for getting my through my plane ride.
    (forgot my laptop) ><

5. Liam says:

Kaley Cuoco ask on min 23:45 what’s a T.A.R.D.I.S. and then the audience booed the cast, it got really awkward really fast but Big C saved it from being a big nerd riot.

6. Beth Kaelin says:

I really liked this episode. Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. It was kinda weird that the cast didn’t comprehend that their show is “nerdy.” Trust me guys, it is. That’s why I love it so much!

7. M3rc Nate says:

Was majorly hoping this was a panel separate from The Comic Con BBT official panel which i had already watched on Youtube. It was good to hear it again though.

I will say it makes the show (BBT) a tiny bit less fun to watch knowing basically none of them are even interested in what their characters (and viewers) are interested in (comics, nerd culture, etc).
    Ironically IMO Kaley is the nerdiest of all of them, though she didnt know what the TARDIS is (it IS a British show so i cut slack there) she is really into her iPad and app gaming and computer and comic books and i believe she even games a little, i know shes friends with a lot of other actor gamers (like Zach Levi).
    The other who i really enjoyed was Bernadette (Melissa Rauch) who was insanely funny and seemed super down to earth.
    Like many commenting here it was annoying how they back peddled so much on it being a nerd show..yes i get its about characters and they are interesting..but it is the nerdiest sitcom on tv…accept it.
    Also the “Thank you for never saying Sheldon has ____ disability” commenter is a bunch of crap for multiple reasons.
    Overall, i enjoyed it, mainly because of Chris, Kaley and Melissa though.

8. Scott S says:

The only panel podcast I remember enjoying here was the Dr. Who one. Possibly because I haven’t cared much about the shows the panels were for, I ended up fast-forwarding through most of them because there was nothing that interested me. Not saying don’t post them anymore, just saying I at least haven’t enjoyed them much.

One show I heard about, but don’t know if it exists in recorded form, is one with Scott Mosier and several other guys, from Montreal. Will we ever get that?

9. Rob S. says:

Sheldon has Asperger’s Syndrome. He is the poster child for many Asperger’s organizations.

10. Pinkie Pie says:

*nerdgasm*

11. Lee says:

@John Pavlich: I fall on the same side of this “issue” as your friends, to an extent. The few times I’ve watched The Big Bang Theory I’ve gotten a really strong sense of disingenuousness from the writing. I don’t get the impression that they’ve embraced nerd culture with that show as much as they’ve done juuuust enough research to make their stereotypical nerd dialogue sound accurate to something a stereotypical nerd might say.

I can only speak for myself, but I think what bothers me most about this show is the way the “nerds” seem like neutered – for a lack of a better term – to make it easier for the general public to laugh at them. Doormats, prone 99.9% of the time to fits of stuttering, nervous frustration and seemingly incapable of visceral anger (or, really, any emotion not befitting of the antiquated caricature of the scrawny, pocket-protector-and-taped-glasses-wearing chess/math club nerd).

The characters are flat most of the time, delivering one-note jokes (however brilliantly, as guys like Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kunal Nayyar and Simon Helburg are heavy-lifters as far as comedic acting) for the long, plodding stretches between moments of “tacked-on-heart”. I just can’t help feeling like my intelligence is being insulted when I watch this show; and the momentary amusement at hearing a mostly-accurate reference to the nerd culture I sincerely enjoy is never enough to outweigh the fact that those references seem to get dropped in moments where the characters seem to be painted as the highest-functioning people on the autistic scale.

Besides that, CBS programming is absolute garbage. How I Met Your Mother? The Mentalist? $#*! My Dad Says? CSI? Two and a Half Men? NCIS? Gary Unmarried? Those shows are self-contained setups if not outright punchlines (“I’ve been watching The Mentalist a lot lately because my TV’s on CBS and I lost my remote. I think I’ve become a body language expert.” ~Liz Lemon). CBS hasn’t put anything but pure, unfettered, unmitigated drivel on the air since M*A*S*H* (Letterman and Ferguson excused). I can actually think of an instance where they saw fit to buy and keep on the air one of NBC’s worst shows (The Medium). I realize that NBC has more than likely had as many “misses” (and seems geared to have three more with Whitney, Free Agents, and Up All Night about to hit the airwaves), but their “hits” are all vastly superior to any of CBS’s recent popular shows in terms of quality of humor and writing (30 Rock, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community). I say this without undue contempt or even the faintest iota of hipster loathing: The fact that CBS is the number one network in America is a genuine source of dismay to me.

TL;DR: Wonderful actors, but writing only people as out of touch as my parents could enjoy. In my (humble, albeit strong) opinion, at least.

I promise I’m not trying to bring negativity for the sake of being negative. Just voicing my opinion. Despite how I feel about CBS programming, The Big Bang Theory, and especially the utter horseshit Chuck Lorre puts his name on, I respect the opinions of those who enjoy the show.

IN ANY CASE: Chris did a great job. I felt like the cast wasn’t giving him much to work with, but the panel format is really difficult to be spontaneous and funny in. Having an enormous all-ages audience of people who’ve been waiting all day to see and interact with the actors/actresses from their favorite show, in addition to tight time constraints, doesn’t leave much room to dig into the tangential asides where Chris’ best funny is usually found.

12. John Pavlich says:

@ Bart

That’s funny you should bring up Green Lantern comics and The Muppets. My friend LOVES both of those things. He probably doesn’t remember those changes to the oath or the Muppets “getting it wrong”, or probably just doesn’t care. He’s more a fan of Geoff Johns’ run than anything else, so that’s probably the version he adheres to.

Mostly though, I think for him (and another friend of mine) it’s just about hating on The Big Bang Theory. In fact, when he saw the post for this episode, he said on Twitter, “And that’s the first episode of that podcast I’m never ever going to listen to”. They both have this seemingly new and sudden hatred of Chuck Lorre, specifically. They were telling me about how Lorre apparently puts his name on every episode in the writing credits and they felt it was a “shitty, dick move. What an asshole!”

I told them I didn’t know Chuck Lorre personally and didn’t know what his involvement in the Writer’s Room was from episode to episode. Therefore, it’s not my place to judge that sort of thing. When it was mentioned that Ron Moore did the same thing on all the BSG scripts, you should have heard the back peddling they were doing and all the excuses about how that’s different.

These guys have been overly negative lately. I had to listen to them rant about the new Star Wars blu-rays and how Lucas was just doing all those changes for the money. I didn’t have the energy or patience to explain to them that’s not why, but I digress. Now, I just try to power through (we podcast together) without instigating a conversation (read: argument) on almost any geek-related topic or I just stay quiet and let them run, so as to keep my sanity.

Honestly, if Chuck Lorre is in fact some raging egomaniac asshole, I don’t really care. It doesn’t seem to affect the quality of his work and I can still watch The Big Bang Theory and laugh my glasses off. :)

13. Chris Hardwick says:

Rob B: No, at these kinds of panels it’s generally not appreciated to bring up negative stuff like Charlie Sheen or John Ritter’s untimely passing. These are not Charlie Rose interviews, they are celebration panels. Had I done that, everyone on the panel would have been uncomfortable and that’s not what these are about. One on one in the studio I can ask those kinds of questions, but the setting made that inappropriate for them.

Fair question, though!

14. Miguel David says:

This was amazing and great fun to listen! Good job “Big C”!!

Comic-con, the only place in the world where you can get booed if you don’t know what a TARDIS is.

15. Kevin says:

I prefer the episodes with Matt and Jonah but this was good too.

16. TheLoverly says:

blackcatjaci, you may want to watch some more before you write Penny off. She probably undergoes the most development as a character throughout the series. I think the show makes a lot of effort to show that she’s not a moron, she’s just fulfilling a role that has been laid out for her by society. Spending more time around the geeks is good for her.

Also, if you haven’t gotten to Leslie Winkle, or especially Bernadette and Amy’s entrances into the show, you can’t really judge their portrayal of women. I don’t think anyone could say Bernadette is not both hot and smart.

I would say they play around with a LOT of stereotypes, of men and women both. The characters are all deeply flawed – as in, truly very human. They also have tremendous redeeming qualities at times.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with being dumb and beautiful, or smart and plain. Truly the only thing that matters in the world is being kind. Calling someone a “lame-ass hoe” is really not.

17. Jay Hernandez says:

STFU Big Bang Theroy grew into an amazing show. @Blackcatjaci Calm the fuck down they have a scientist and a super smart chick in there too, dont be such a bitch

18. blackcatjaci says:

Got the first season of BBT on Netflix and was totally pissed because they portrayed the girl as a complete airhead! WTF, like that’s just what we need, another BS female stereotype. Stop giving these lame-ass hoes airtime and put a smart, hot chick in there so more girls will realize it’s OK to be smart, guys WILL think you’re hot (as long as you have boobs & not a “Vader pu$$y”)

19. Ken says:

Did Simon Helberg call Chris Hardwick “Bruce” @ 29:21?

20. Rob B says:

Chris, I have a question about how you host the panels. Are you asked not to talk about certain things? For instance, with this panel you could have talked to Kaley about John Ritter’s death and going on with the show. Also you could have talked to Chuck Lorre about Charlie Sheen. Are you asked not to talk about stuff like that or as host do you decide only to talk about Big Bang because it’s a Big Bang panel?

21. Ben Wiers says:

Hmm… big bang theory you say? I am very conflicted about this show. I think they have a lot of talented people involved but it is such a bland sitcom I can’t watch it. Maybe I just hate on this show because it has such high ratings while a far better and nerdier show (Community) is on at the same time and struggles for ratings and any sort of awards recognition. I look forward to listening to the episode, but while I am at it, eww Chuck Lorre? (I personally think that Charlie Sheen was not the reason 2 1/2 Men is terrible. It sucked with Sheen and it will suck with Kutcher.)

22. Erin N says:

Chris, you are great! This is an awesome podcast. Every time I check your site, and see that a new Nerdist podcast has been posted, it is like Christmas! Keep it up. Oh, and I love BBT!!! AWESOME! Enjoy your burrito.

– Erin

23. Lee says:

@anncoultersadamsapple I was torn between “Nerdette” and “Nerdista”.

24. anncoultersadamsapple says:

@Lee

“The Nerdette” would be amazing.

25. I just read the title and had a HUGE nerd-gasm!! Not only do I love BBT, but Chris – your podcast I LOVE. You are what you are – a nerd talking TRUE about nerd things. Awesome!

Also – Chris – I just wanted to let you know that I love your podcast and I love listening to them. I normally listen to them via the website itself, and if for some reason you had to stop streaming from the website, I would find another means to listen to it. Keep it up!

26. Lee says:

Re: GRACE HELBIG

Any of my fellow Nerdists who are either A) unaware of Grace Helbig or B) unfamiliar with her work outside of AOTS’ field segments should navigate POST HASTE to the GracenMichelle Youtube channel to see just how bleeding funny these girls really are. ( http://www.youtube.com/user/GracenMichelle )

I’M SERIOUS YOU GUYS.

When you’re done doing that, feel free to jump on board with the idea that occurred to me sometime last week.

The Nerdette Podcast (name subject to change). All the nerdy enthusiasm and conversational hilarity we’ve become accustomed to, filtered through the beautifully twisted minds of Grace Helbig and Michelle Vargas.

Nerdist has a fair amount of female listeners, it seems. I think a Nerdist-style conversational “sister” podcast with a female voice/perspective would be a fantastic addition to the Nerdist podcast network.

27. Wesley Marshall says:

First of all thanks for staying up later to fix and re upload the episode for us! And two what a great episode! I enjoyed it immensely. I’d love you to get Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Kunal Nayyar, Simon Helberg, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch on the podcast individually at some point it be great. And on the episode that Parsons is on have Wil drop by “unexpectedly” #NerdGasm #BrainCum #HashtagsOffTwitter

28. SHOGUN says:

Did the Barenaked Ladies come out again this year?

29. Kris says:

Ignore the moronic comments by the trolls Chris, this was great.

30. Vincent S says:

Damn, I felt sorry for the youtube comments on the video version of this panel. All of them wishing Chris would disappear, in a bloodier state, so that Wil Wheaton would replace him. To be honest, you sort of cut what they were saying by immediately talking mid-sentence (it looked like that on the youstubes).

Hmm, I might download this NOT only because of a weird type of undiagnosed OCD but also because the Walking Dead Panel podcast, having also watched it on youtube, had a different vibe to it compared to just the video.

@anncoultersadamsapple

Grace Helbig is kinda awesome as the new on-the-field reporter for AOTS. :/ I dunno if she’d done enough to cover a whole podcast or if Chris is close to her to even get this thing started.

:/ being a Munn fan when she was in AOTS, I kinda want that to happen… but it might cause problems for Chris and/or Munn.

31. anncoultersadamsapple says:

Chris, would you please have on Grace Helbig? I really like the stuff she’s been doing on AOTS. She seems funny.

32. SlimCharles says:

I always thought Big Bang Theory was boring, just like about 90% of Sitcoms [humor just seems so forced in that kind of TV shows]. But! Kaley Cuoco is hot, and more importantly, this podcast was very cool. Way to go Big C!

33. Megan P says:

Great podcast! I love this show and I love you Chris! I am a newbie nerd and also a proud Whovian!!

34. JetpackBlues says:

That was Tons ‘O Fun!

The one thing that nerds, Trekkies, what have you, forget is the actors portraying the parts are doing just that — playing a part. Then sitting on a panel, in front of thousands of people, and answering bizarre questions about the show and their characters is hard.

But the best part about it is, conventions give us and the actors in the shows we watch personal interaction not many people get. They give up their time to travel to your city and give us the best answers and stories they can. We get to awkwardly meet them, and they get to see their audience & the people who keep their show on the air.

Now, once an actor hits the con circuit and has time to go back and watch all the seasons/episodes of the show, and gets in the groove of answering fans, everyone has a lot of fun with the experience.

It would have been great fun if Will was there, but he was moderating the Eureka panel if memory serves….

35. Charles says:

Chris dude, you gotta start blocking out the loud mouth minority. 95% of people love the show and don’t give a crap if your show doesn’t stream on whatever other apps. Don’t waste your time on trolls and haters.

iTunes, retards, heard of it you can download the podcast in like 5 mins. Or use google listen for the RSS feed.

36. Andrew says:

Please Chris, DON’T read the youtube comments on the CBS version of this link… they have no idea who you are, and have said some nasty things.

I thought you kicked arse, and were far more interesting than the rest of that panel. Well, apart from maybe Simon – cause he was pretty funny too 😉

37. Logan says:

I didn’t think there was any torture involved…

I love Big Bang Theory, great funny show for my generation. Wish you guys could have talked more one on one with the cast in a “non-live” environment. Those more intimate podcasts are the best.

38. Dean says:

Are people really trying to draw parallels between blackface and a sitcom about nerds? Christ. Think about the way you react to things before you get wound up about negative stereotypes.

39. Bart says:

@ John Pavlich

I agree with your analogy to Bryan Cranston. These are actors, not geeks. I don’t consider it to be Geek Black Face, I consider it to be COMEDY and am grateful that the actors make it enjoyable.

Regarding the Green Lantern oath, and “getting it wrong”, ask your friend if he never reads any Green Lantern at all since they changed the REAL oath “And I shall shed my light over dark evil. For the dark things cannot stand the light, The light of the Green Lantern!” Or if he realizes that there have been a number of different oaths, and maybe this one is Sheldons. Or if he just doesn’t like the Muppets (google Green Lantern Muppets if you don’t know what I’m talking about – they “got it wrong” as well).

Chris – Count me as one of the people happy that I was able to “survive” the first 15 minutes :)

40. Blake says:

@john I just posted this on the FB page. Some edits to fit your questions. To the people who say its horrible for nerd stereotypes…yes, they are. However to change the status quo you have to take baby steps with the sheeple. A show like Glee would never exist thirty years ago. A gay main character? Gasp! Now its loved by multiple communities because society got over their predjuices.

I see the same with this show, in time. People know now that the nerds run the show. Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google. These are run by nerds, and those companies run us.

Plus the humor isn’t horrible. The level of accuracy they go into on that show is often impressive, and I catch myself laughing at very subtle nerd humor most miss (no laugh track overtone). That said they may make mistakes. However is that our geek side getting angry over details that don’t affect most? Should we get angry every time an explosion happens right next to the hero in a movie and he gets up and walks away without a scratch? That’s not accurate by any stretch, but we choose to suspend logic or our factual knowledge for an overall enjoyment.

Also, you can’t expect everyone to know everything about every possible show. Getting booed for not knowing what a TARDIS is? If I was an actor, boo me for not knowing about my character in the show, not about the ship in a British Scifi show that I’ve probably been told to watch in addition to 50 other great TV shows. If they said Spock was Luke’s father, ok yeah. But that’s very common trivia a majority knows.

People should try and encourage change rather than condemn it and ridicule others. I also use the show as a springboard for non-nerds to. “Hey, you like this? Why not try Eureka, or Firefly?” It has worked several times. Viewership on those shows go up. Better advertising. More of those quality programs get made.

TLDR: The show gives some positive images in a comedic light that could incur a social shift.
    2 minutes ago · Like

41. Andreas says:

Just in case this really is torture: Please announce the Community podcast so I have something to look forward… or else I might hurt myself in nerdy ways (strangle on an ethernet cable, cut my wrist with the CPU fan)

42. John Pavlich says:

I haven’t listened to this yet, but I wanted to ask you guys about something. I like the show, but most of my friends (and much of the Nerd Culture, it seems) dismisses the show, calling it “Geek Black Face”, implying the show isn’t genuine, lacks sincerity and is actually offensive to legitimate “Geeks”. One of my friends who was in the audience (and you may be able to hear him), booed the panel for not knowing what a Tardis is. Additionally, another friend of mine dropped the show long ago after a character got the Green Lantern oath wrong.

My question is, are they right? Is The Big Bang Theory just “Geek Black Face” and therefore should not be supported by the Geek community? What say you?

Personally, though I consider myself a Geek, I don’t care if the cast or creators aren’t actually legitimate in that respect. I mean, if it’s revealed that Bryan Cranston doesn’t actually know how to successfully cook the finest crystal meth this side of New Mexico, should I boycott Breaking Bad? I’m of the opinion that The Big Bang Theory is funny and the cast does very well selling the comedy. That’s why I watch.

Sure, when they reference comics I like or genre shows I watch, I smile, knowingly. However, those are mere seconds within 22-minutes of a given episode. The real substance for me lies in those fun characters, the actors who play them and how they all relate and react to each other. Often, the funniest and more rewarding moments for me aren’t even tied to Geek Cred or pop culture at all! What are your thoughts?

43. Blake says:

This made my week of vacation. Perfect timing. Keep the fantasacasting coming. When can the writing nerds get some more love? I am very fond of the author podcasts, and with a book coming out…

44. chris hardwick says:

Wesley: I fixed it anyway.

Brian: I was there and I don’t remember them being annoyed. Thanks for letting me know where I stand in your rating system, though. Sorry the first 15 minutes were “torture”. I salute your bravery and courage for getting through it. Your family and community must be very proud of you for your strength.

45. Brian says:

Wow, Chuck Lorre and some of the cast really seemed a little annoyed when Chris Hardwick steered the conversation into the realm of “Nerd Culture.” Don’t blame them as it seemed to be a focal point of Big C’s initial line of questioning. As someone who has only seen the occasional episode, I was really anticipating more cast insight, but the first 15 minutes were torture. Was Chris was phased by the MC’s grating voice and off-kilter delivery? I kid. I think Chris Hardwick is an intelligent interview; I just wouldn’t count this as one of his finer pieces. The only thing that could have made it worse is the presence of the perpetual self-loathing called Matt Mira.

46. Wesley Marshall says:

Thanks, it’s no rush just letting you know before you get the tweets from people saying “What the fuck man, why did you cut that part out!”. But thanks! And enjoy the burrito of forgetting about stupid mini-dramas #RetconThatShit #TorchwoodReferences

47. Chris Hardwick says:

Aw crud. Thanks for the heads up Wesley. I’ll have to fix that tomorrow. Sorry!!!

48. Kwame says:

Never got into the Big Bang Theory. Saw a recent episode and didn’t like it. If they turn out to be fun on the podcast I’ll have to give them another chance. Wish you hosted the Community panel though.

49. Wesley Marshall says:

Chris at minute 19:11 to 19:40 the audio drops out.

50. Sarah says:

Yay! I knew there was a plus side to insomnia, fresh podcast at 3:40am! Very excited for this. Thanks!