Simon Pegg

Nerdist Podcast #100: SIMON PEGG

Yes! For our centennial episode (sweet!!), Nerd deity SIMON PEGG drops by to chat about the many swirling eddies of awesomeness in the Peggverse, including (but not limited to) Star Trek, zombies, stand-up, Brass Eye, Edgar Wright, Spaced and his new book Nerd Do Well: A Small Boy’s Journey to Becoming a Big Kid, a harrowing yet delightful tale about growing up Nerdy in Britain. HE’S THE REAL DEAL as well as an absolute gentleman.

Also, a super-secret guest drops by (Joel McHale (parentheses make things invisible (parenthetical nesting dolls! (fun!))))!

Instantly gratify your craving for Nerd Do Well at Amazon, Barnes & Noble or IndieBound

1. Jared says:

Oh man I wish Nick Frost was here too.

2. Kimberly Woo says:

GREAT interview! This was the most awesome introduction to The Nerdist. Had a blast reminiscing about The Six Million Dollar Man AND the action figures. Man I had the most awesome Boba Fett action figure that had a grappling hook… sigh … Simon’s thesis … Sigourney Weaver at Comic Con. Awesome.

Simon Pegg is most definitely a nerd deity – a hot nerd diety. Thanks, guys.

3. Ben Tippin says:

This was a fantastic episode guys. I enjoyed the fact that Simon started to academically dissect nerd-dom. I had a brain boner for the rest of the episode. =D

4. Jeff Whaley says:

this could be the first podcast with an english comedian where chris doesnt say something to make the guest get up early and leave lol

5. This was an awesome podcast and, as a reviewer for CultureMob, I gave my own take on “Nerd Do Well”:

I also want to point people toward a couple of Simon Pegg’s and Nick Frost’s lesser known shows. The former did an amazing take on ’60s hanger-ons called “Hippies;” the latter an unbelievable sketch comedy show called “Man/Woman.” (For pervs, that’s man-stroke!-woman.) Both have episodes available on youtube–for free!

6. smartbunny says:

Fred West, “He sounds handsome!”

7. Jonathan says:

Yeah yeah, Simon Peg, whatever. Holy fucking shit it’s the incredible shrinking Matt Mira! Well done man! You look great! As someone whose fought that battle my whole life I have nothing but respect for you.

Also, while funny supersedes nice, I need to point out that on the third fat joke at your expense in the same hour, you are legally and ethically allowed to cock-punch Jonah. Don’t worry- he knows this. He’ll be expecting it.

8. Dan Harris says:

Hey Nerdiest guys. Just wanted to say I love this here danged podcast you’re hosting week in week out. It seems as you grow in popularity your nerd score coefficient with other nerds is on the rise, as evidenced by the awesome guests of late; Kirkman and Pegg. Those are some rad nerds!!! ( can’t forget Lindelof!! ) . The quement I have is about your, Chris’, referencing the Tosh.0 show. It was somewhere back there in the 90’s something of the podcasts. You were saying that Tosh.0 and Web Soup could both exist and there wasn’t any rivalry, that you saw. You also, politically, said their show did a good job etc etc. I finally watched one this weekend. Now I normally don’t troll… But between me and you, Tosh.0 is shit!! Zero personality, horrible delivery, bad jokes with too much insistance on trying to milk every last ounce of joke jizz out of every bit. Embarrassing to watch. It’s a pale, weak copy of Web Soup. You’re smart, witty, hilarious ( I guess Jonah helps there ; p ) and have personality that delivers. Keep up the good work. Enjoy ur burrito!!!

9. Randy says:

Happy 100th. This was one of your best.

10. Lola says:

I really loved this podcast because I did not know half of the references. I always enjoy learning something new. Thanks.

(I hope that did not come off as sarcastic. I really do mean it.)

11. Mark T. Manning says:

Can’t… stop… LOL’ing… SMILIN’ MATT! Smilers gonna smile! So innocent and adorable! 😀 aaaaaaaaah hahaha I love it!!!

12. TheMSpot says:

Speaking of The Six Million Dollar Man, Kevin Smith is writing a Bionic Man comic book.

13. GuanoLad says:

Jonah looks like Senor Cardgage.

Fantastic podcast for #100. And now I’m reading Simon’s book! Hi-larious!

14. Thompson, chris the drunk says:

why oh why did you not soberly point out my drunkenly nerdly comment on the fb about mC hAles laser wang. make me superfluously almost talked about in hushed nerd gatherings. i feel not SINGLED OUT in this nerdist community. shit i may just be effed now. laser = Joel’s Light Amplifier Stimulated and Emitting Radiation. uhh hardwick how did you get sober?

15. agirlyman says:

Great f’n show, laughed my ass off, congrats on #100!

16. my_leisure says:

Yeah for everyone

17. Schulz says:

Hilarious podcast as usual. Your mention of the 6-Million Dollar man Sasquatch made me check the attic and find mine from the 70’s. (I tried to explain how cool this toy was to my kids, but it didn’t take…”No really! you press this button and his chest pops off! What else? uh, that’s it…”). I don’t know if you can get his feet to torque a Robert Kirkman action figure or not, but I’ll send it your way if you want, and you’re welcome to find out!

Thanks again for the laughs. You guys make my 1.5 -2 hour roundtrip commute to a job I despise bearable.

18. Matthew Cole says:

You guys have come full circle.

I am living the life I dream of vicariously through the nerdist.

Thank you.

19. Tanya says:

That was awesome! I just finished watching the 2nd season of Spaced….sad there won’t be anymore, but as long as Simon keeps doing more great work I’ll live. I wrote down about 3 sticky note pages of shows that were mentioned by Simon and Chris, now I have to find them. So please “the nerdist” feel free to post those somewhere for future reference, and maybe how to find them online. Get Simon back asap, and Edgar too.

20. Sarah B says:

Matt’s looking a whole lot like Craig Finn of the Hold Steady in this pic.

21. HevvyP says:

McHale has 2 hit shows. His crotch doesn’t need an asterisk.

22. Germ says:

Happy 100th!!

23. Jeff says:

This was one of the most entertaining podcasts I’ve ever heard. Simon and Joel were brilliant.

24. Jamie Heron says:

Am I the only one having trouble playing and downloading this?

25. Addison says:

I remember listening to the first Nerdist podcast… great times. Congratulations.

26. Dangalf says:

To DVD/Bluray manufactorers. If you don’t make your disc’s multi region, you’re racist!

27. Zak R. says:

Oops, I forgot to mention that the episode was amazing. It was! Hearing Simon Pegg’s perspective on the differences in the comedy scenes and television industries between the US and the UK was fascinating. I heard him on NPR last week, and he did a good job of selling the book in that piece, but it’s even better to hear a whole hour in the context of chat amongst nerds.

28. Zak R. says:

Speaking of how productions change as the producers become popular, do you think that the continuing success of the Nerdist podcast will have any affect on your ability to discuss things that are uncomfortable but true or questionably legal? I can just imagine some MPAA executive listening in on this hip new thing he’s heard about, only to realize that you are discussing television and film piracy in any terms other than extreme approbation (we know that your feelings on the matter are subtle and nuanced, but will the lawyers care?). Obviously, you don’t have executives who have given you money breathing down your neck about this kind of stuff (and Geek Chic seems cool), but will it have to become a factor in your interviewing and editing processes?

29. NerdRage42 says:

Wow! My favorite geeks together at last! You are all teh awesome. Wish I was in LA to be in your audience. Would wear my Pee Wee Herman outfit. Girl-PeeWee is awesome.

30. Kevin says:

How tall is Jonah? In that picture he looks taller than Joel, who is 6’4″.

31. Ancient Roman says:

Congrats on the Big C, Big C!

32. I loved the interview and Simon was lovely as always. I wanted to thank you for discussing region free issues. I have complained about that for years.I am running into problems with the PAL format. I will admit at times I am forced to “borrow” good British TV.

P.S. As a massive horror geek…Chris you had a great death in House of a 1000 Corpses!

33. JonTehKnight says:

Awesome 100th guest Big C! I wonder where Matt left his watch….

34. Justrob1978 says:

Skinny Matt. Extra HUNDRED million.

35. esdeem says:

I’m so glad I decided to check the site before I left for work. Now the comedic Devastator that is Nerdist, Simon Pegg and Joel McHale will combine to get me through another crappy night at work.

36. M.C. says:

Simon Pegg on the Nerdist=ecstasy! Fantastic 100th ep, guys…and one of your best podcast illos ever. :)