Simon Pegg

Nerdist Podcast #100: SIMON PEGG

Yes! For our centennial episode (sweet!!), Nerd deity SIMON PEGG drops by to chat about the many swirling eddies of awesomeness in the Peggverse, including (but not limited to) Star Trek, zombies, stand-up, Brass Eye, Edgar Wright, Spaced and his new book Nerd Do Well: A Small Boy’s Journey to Becoming a Big Kid, a harrowing yet delightful tale about growing up Nerdy in Britain. HE’S THE REAL DEAL as well as an absolute gentleman.

Also, a super-secret guest drops by (Joel McHale (parentheses make things invisible (parenthetical nesting dolls! (fun!))))!

Instantly gratify your craving for Nerd Do Well at Amazon, Barnes & Noble or IndieBound

Comments

1. Josh from Europe aka Bounty Hunter says:

Congrats to your 100th Podcast.

It was nice that Simon Pegg showed up.
    Chris it speaks for your, that you have all those great guests.

I remeber, watching Shaun of the Dead for the first time during a open air birthday party / BBQ. I knew Simon because of SPACED.
    When I saw him in the first scene, I screamed “F**** awesome” and the movie really was.

Keep up your great Podcasts. I’ve heard them all and every time I laugh my ass of.

NERD AND PROUD

2. First of all, thank you for the podcast and it’s ability to distract me through(and make bearable) a three hour mandatory holocaust speech(if I wasn’t able to hide my mp3 player in my sleeve….). Though, zombie talk on the robert kirkman podcast made me have terrible thoughts of jewish zombie based vengeance falling upon me, and it did cause me to giggle out loud at very inappropriate moments(those glares still sting). WEEEELLLLL, my question is about starting out in comedy. I know that you say “just do it,” but I wanna know what towns and colleges have good comedy communities. Like college comedy troupes and programs like groundlings, as well as plenty of good comedy venues with open mikes. Do any towns or cities come to minds, and if so which? Toodles!

Danke, Kevin

3. phil says:

Awesome podcast gents. As always.

Matt Mira, lookin good dude. No homo.

4. CXRengel says:

Awesome way to celebrate podcast #100 – get a fellow superstar mega-nerd to join you.

5. rev says:

I knew you would get someone super awesome for the #100 podcast! Great job.

6. Flatulator says:

Great show; congratulations guys.

Chris, Big C can also refer to a gaping, blown-out cunt. Not sure if this is better than the cancer association, but it’s something to keep in mind.

7. Admiral Kent says:

Oops…sorry about the double post. I was attempting to correct a typo.

8. Admiral Kent says:

I had the whole Six Million Dollar Man set…complete with the laboratory set with all the wires and glow-in-the-dark x-rays. I also had the Bigfoot doll with the chest plate that could pop off revealing its bionics. (P.S. Bigfoot used to scare the shit outta me as a kid on that show!).

9. Admiral Kent says:

I had the whole Six Million Donnal Man set…complete with the laboratory set with all the wires and glow-in-the-dark x-rays. I also had the Bigfoot doll with the chest plate that could pop off revealing its bionics. (P.S. Bigfoot used to scare the shit outta me as a kid on that show!).

10. Randy says:

Congrats on episode 100! A big bucket of steaming win to you! Great to hear Simon Pegg on the podcast. You guys didn’t mention a few British comedies that were big on PBS back in the late 70’s and early 80’s: Dave Allen, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Fawlty Towers and BlackAdder, just to name a few.

11. joe non says:

wasn’t it. burns: Even when you are trying to be good your evil.

12. L-Mo says:

Great show!

13. Nancy says:

My nerdy girl heart just exploded!

This picture has the hottest nerdy men around :-)

Matt~ You are SERIOUSLY Looking HOTTER then ever!

14. Stacy says:

Dear Lorne Michaels, get Karen Gillan and Matt Smith on SNL NOW!!

15. Nick says:

Congrats on 100 great podcasts. I agree with the geoblocking stuff, if it’s free on the internet why should it be restricted because I’m in a different country? And it is kinda pointless when you can get a proxy server from the host country and watch the material anyways, so you’re really only inconveniencing your audience. As a Canadian I run into this stuff a lot when trying to watch American content. I have even thought of ways to get American Netflix because the Canadian one is so terrible by comparison but those ways would involve some light fraud.

16. three toes of fury says:

Best. Desktop Wallpaper Photo. Ever.

Congrats Yon Nerdists!!! Looking forward to the next 100 shows. Try to have them in the can by August. bwahaha!

17. anncoultersadamsapple says:

What the hell was Sigourney Weaver buying on the Comic-con floor? Please bring her on and ask her.

Happy 100 Jonah, Matt and Chris.

p.s. keep the legend going and don’t do a 129 either.

18. Ryan says:

AHHH CONGRATS ON THE 100th BIG C!
    Pussy High Five!!
    (That’s right, retro callback ftw)

19. EaterOfBoners says:

MAXIMUM. WEEKDAY. BONER. ACHIEVED.

This just made my boring Tuesday unboringafied.

20. groonk says:

Sigourney Weaver.

On the Nerd Prom floor.

Dressed as Batman.

How is this not a movie yet?

21. Dangalf says:

I am excite

SImon Pegg was always a favoutite of mine, though, if i’m perfectly honest, I’m not a fan of the movies he’s done. Love Spaced and Big Train (rememeber that anyone?). And I remember his cameo in Band f Brothers.

@dandalff

22. Doug B says:

The other peeve is that news channels like BBC and Australian Broadcasting geoblock their news programs…. very stupid.

The non-news shows I can understand but geoblocking the regular news is stupid

23. Magnoliafan says:

Why wouldn’t Da Vinci go back to one of his earlier works? He is the one who said that art is never finished, only abandoned. He started the Mona Lisa in 1503 and would work on it till his death in 1519.

24. Wesley Marshall says:

Well @TheSciFiShow use your ESTB and get him from the future.

25. Canterbury the Robot Butler. Needs to exist. Soonish.

26. Mia says:

SO MANY AMAZING THINGS IN THIS PODCAST!!
    Simon Pegg ANNND Joel McHale? Fantastic!

First off, the little “Freakin’ love you so much” at the beginning made my day.

Oddly, I know the exact Loch Ness movie that Simon is talking about…

Finally, really Chris? Wisconsin?! I will run up to you and take your picture 5197 times if you come over here. Please! I promise you there are nerds in Wisconsin. Girl nerds, too!

Anyway, new favorite podcast.

Mia

27. Congratulations guys! Thanks for all the great content over the past year and a half, on the podcast, the site, and the excellent NerdMelt space that I feel so lucky to live 10 minutes away from.

28. Christopher Coleman says:

Congrats on 100 episodes! You guys are awesome and thank you for all the joy you’ve brought me over the past year and a half.

29. Wesley Marshall says:

@Julio there is an episode 29, I recall Matt saying on episode a few month ago that it was reserved for someone special but according to my itunes episode 29 was Number 29: Todd Barry

30. Bobby G says:

….oh yeah, here’s another great toy. PULSAR: http://www.toysyouhad.com/Pulsar.htm

31. Bobby G says:

Oh man, when Simon Pegg started talking about The Six Million Dollar Man Toy I was going crazy, brings back so many memories. I know everyone know how to use Google, but I thought I would link SMDM enemy Maskatron. http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/maskatron.jpg?w=308&h=531

32. Liam says:

Congrats to 100 great episodes Big C! Jonah kinda looks like a hipster version of Groucho Marx in the picture.

33. Rodrigo says:

Happy 100th podcast! Simon Pegg is a genius and awesome. Joel McHale is amazing too.

34. @The_Nicktator says:

I feel this photo perfectly encapsulates everything the Nerdist Podcast is about. Just some good friends who hang out and bullshit with each other, that any one of us could be in the photo, and wouldn’t seem out of place.

35. Julio says:

Technically it’s only 99 since THERE IS NO 29.

Just wanted to point that one out.

36. Audrey says:

I WAS JUST WATCHING GARTH MARENGHI’S DARKPLACE ON YOUTUBE!!! how bazaar. lol.

37. JuloTorres says:

HOLY SHIT MATT’s LOST A SHIT-TON OF WEIGHT!!!! (Great Job sir!)

Congrats on ONE HUNDRED episodes of the best podcast around.

Here’s to 100 more. : )

38. Scully says:

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the episode yet but I feel the burning need to comment on this picture and I apologize for it’s obnoxiously obvious nature but…Jonah is really tall. I had no idea.

39. Snaettersson says:

I just came. *whoof* Thanks, guys.

40. Chad H says:

Congrats on 100 Big C!!! I’ve been here since #1 was launched and laughed hysterically for every single one that followed. You my celeb friend are bound for comedy greatness. Here’s to another 100 and then 100 more after that.

41. Nick says:

am i the only one who noticed the nerdist lazer landed on joel’s crotch?

42. ali says:

Pausing my Doctor Who iTunes download to listen to this immediately!

Congrats on one hundred episodes. I’ve listened to 95% of the podcasts and I’m sure even the ones I’ve not heard are awesome. Thank you for the laughs and keep up the fantastic work.

43. Jonathan says:

Sweeeeeeet!!!

And can I be the first to admire Matt’s sweet watch tan?

44. nerdgasm says:

This photo is too perfect. I want Chris’s shirt and I want to have Joel’s babies. creep factor raised by 100 fold

45. Wesley Marshall says:

As a current intern at Nerdmelt and fan whose been following the show since it’s start over a year ago. I’m so happy that you reached 100 episodes. You guys have made a big impact in my life. Thank you so much. I hope to work or be involved in Nerdist Industries in the years to come. #NERDSUNITE!

46. Markk says:

Congrats on the big 100!

I love the picture, Joel looks like he’s stealing Simon’s wallet. (Either that or he’s grabbing Simon’s arse.)

47. Megan says:

WOAH. I’m actually watching Hot Fuzz and then I see this. Of all the British celebs to show up into my Google Reader…

48. Livius says:

Congrats on 100 episodes!
    I’ve been waiting for this episode for so long, Simon Pegg… not the 100th.

49. Scott Swartz says: