Make Cool Stuff: The Nerdist Podcast Edition!

Here's a blurry picture of me and the guys

Hi, friends! If you’ve listened to episode #126 of the podcast, you’ve learned the origin story for my column on this site. That’s right, I spent several months worth of rent in a charity auction so that I could sit in on a recording of the Nerdist podcast—and in the process of corresponding with Chris, talked my way into a column. Let me tell you: Worth. Every. Penny. It warms my little fan-girl heart to inform you that our intrepid nerd heroes are just as nice in person as they sound in our Tweaked Audio earbuds. (See how I did that? I’m shilling for the man now.)

Because my column here is about Making Cool Stuff, I wanted to share with you the projects I made for the guys, as a means of inspiring you to make your own nerd-tastic projects:

Clockwise from upper left, we have the Doctor Who/James Bond logo mash-up, done in basketweave stitch; a Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead done in back stitch and satin stitch on Aida cloth; and a Star Trek: The Next Generation Enterprise in felt with embroidery.

I wasn’t familiar with needlepoint before I tackled these projects. Here’s the method I use for teaching myself a new craft. You can see a larger photo of each project and additional details over at my site. The Doctor Who 7 pattern is available here if you want to make your own.

More importantly, what cool things have you made? Send me a tweet at @HolaMindy or drop a link in the comments. Let me share your nerdy projects with the rest of the Nerdist community!

Comments

1. Jaime says:

Hi Mindy! My husband and I are big fans of the site, and we thought my crocheted Wonder Woman Tiara might make a fun addition to your DIY section!

Thanks for checking it out!

2. Kelly Black says:

Loved the interview and the stitched projected you made for the guys! I think it’s awesome that you’re contributing to the site. Keep up the great work!

3. Geekly says:

Mindy was funny and adorable. Bring her back again!

4. Diana says:

Finally had a few minutes to listen to the Hola Mindy! podcast. You are adorable and I’m so pleased you were on the podcast! It was even more pleasant because I was knitting a shawl while listening. Which turned out to be entirely appropriate. I wish you lived nearby because I would love to be your “peeps” for a podcast. Keep up the creativity!

5. Off-topic says:

Forgive me for being a total weirdo but I seriously thought Mindy had an hydraulic robot arm in the really blurry pic up top.

I thought I saw this: http://i.imgur.com/AoEM7.jpg

6. Tanya says:

ok, i posted about the patterns on the podcast and then found your blog post, and here they are….oh well! it was a really good show, and you all worked together so well, and you have a great personality and voice for a podcast mindy. i hope you pursue your own show, because i think you’ll do great. i also listen to the accidental creative, but i’ve never checked out their blog before. thanks all!

7. Carol says:

I love the “Make it sew!” I want to put that on a quilt for my husband.

One quick note to a throwaway comment on the podcast. People who are homeless ARE on social media. Mostly Facebook, but wouldn’t be surprised if there are a good number of Twitter accounts.

Take it from a public librarian!

Here’s some official gov’t reports to back me up:

8. Katy says:

Aaaand MAYBE a Nerdist burrito.

9. Katy says:

Great episode!! You seem really awesome!

My family and are are all pretty much huge nerds. And we are also pretty crafty. We have a few blog posts about it:

Includes (but not limited to) Harry Potter Llamas, Old Gregg Barbies, Weeping Angel Statues, and Doctor Who Cookies. :)

10. jenny says:

Awesome for giving to charity and getting to meet the guys in the process. You should definitely consider trying out your own podcast. I would give it a listen.
    As for pizza, have you ever been to Tacconelli’s in Port Richmond? The best pizza ever but you have to call the day before order your dough because it made fresh everyday.
    I don’t needle point but I am a knitter. You must know about the Stash and Burn podcast? If not give them a try.
    Have a great day :)

11. sgenius says:

Mindy, your chemistry with the podcast crew was simply great. You were amazing! You need to become a regular :D or have your own show! Or both!

12. JE Smith says:

Mindy, it’s hard to tell from the blurry photo, are you wearing a giganic maroon corsage? If so… adorable.

13. Vicky A. says:

Just finished listening to “Hola Mindy!” and I really enjoyed it. I think you did a terrific job of blending in with the Nerdist crew and you were quite adorable.

So happy that you had a chance to meet the guys and that it was a great experience for you. I think these other folks are right, if you are able to do it go make a podcast. I think you would be really good and I for one would listen. If I were in Philly, I’d certainly give it a go with you!

Best of luck with everything!

14. farleyk says:

Mindy was so good, it was more like you had auditions for guest co-caster, and she won that, rather than bidding in an auction. Sweet sweet candy for my earbuds.

15. kelsey says:

Awesome needlepoint! I’ll contribute my own nerdy craft:
    I made this model TARDIS a couple years ago as a gift for the friend who introduced me to the show.

16. Bruce says:

Just watched first Nerdest broadcast, excellent first effort. Chris and team will grow this show into a “must watch” if you give them a chance. The pilot was a little “hurried”, but solidly funny. With Chris at the helm the possibilities are only first rate.
    This is my very first “letter” to a network. So, if a 60 yr old male made this effort, what kind of audience is waiting for Chris & Co? Answer: Big enough to pick up for at least 13 more.
    Please consider!

17. Ira Geek says:

Matt, please lay off Maggie G. It’s petty and not really endearing at all. Other than that you seem pretty cool.

Mindy was great on the podcast. I’m looking forward to Thursdays from the Yacht.

18. Brian E. says:

Mindy’s podcast can be just interviewing Nerdist podcast fans talking about how much we love this podcast. Each one a commentary track of the previous week’s Nerdist ;)

19. Devon says:

Mindy you were so amazing on the podcast! I seriously wish that you would guest host with the guys or just become a permanent fixture on the podcast. I loved hearing a nerd girl voice in the mix. Just start your own show! You. Are. Fantastic. Period dot period, etc.

Yay!

– Devon (nerd fan girl extradonaire!)

20. Oh, be nice to Jonah! He was really nice to me; I went to his show at NerdMelt right after we taped. He even introduced me to Deanna, his girlfriend, who is ADORABLE!

NerdMelt, by the way, is the greatest place ever invented. The guys that run Meltdown Comics gave great recommendations. Their shop is huge. The stage space in the back is small, which makes for good comic energy.

The name of the Aussie show is Sticks and String: http://sticksandstring.com.au/ He’s on hiatus right now because his mom’s been sick, but check out the back episodes. There’s something remarkably soothing about an Australian dude talking about yarn.

21. *Minneapolis (wow, shame on me for being so excited about posting).

Sorry to hear the clash battle that happened for Chris, but at least it is out of the way.

22. Mindy is awesome and a great podcast overall. If she needs someone to talk to to make a podcast happen, I am more then willing. I have been trying to find someone wanting to be on a podcast as well, but with little success. I’m in minneapolois, but I have a mic and the stuff to make it work if she is interested.

I love the hostful podcasts and it was refreshing to have just a regular person show up on the show. Nice change up.

23. Sarah says:

Great podcast Mindy, always glad to listen to a fellow crafty nerd. I too need the name of the the male aussie knitter’s podcast. Does he own sheep? In my fantasy, he owns sheep.

24. Magnoliafan says:

Mindy seems like a genuinely nice and sincere person. The exact opposite of Jonah and his ironic detachment.

25. Ken C says:

Good show Mindy! You fell right into place, I didn’t expect that a fan would be such a natural. You really should do your own Maker-Mindy-on-a-Yacht-with-a-Bot-cast.

26. Luneowl says:

So what is the name of the Aussie knitting podcast? This is a thing that is relevant to my interests! (as a fellow knitter)

27. Brian E. says:

Vajonah looks adorable.

28. Nicole Marie says:

Holy shit Jonah, you’re a stick.

29. Pete says:

That show was friggin adorable. Mindy absolutely nailed it. You really should make your own podcast. And yes, Matt’s laugh is awesome.

30. Yeah that's right says:

Mr. Ray looks ecstatic.

31. Thom says:

“I wasn’t familiar with needlepoint before I tackled these projects.”
    what??? these are incredible! You inspire me to learn how to sew. The Doctor Who/007 logo mashup is genius as well, nice job.

32. the_nether says:

Whadya mean blurry? That mic stand is in perfect focus.

33. Vesme says:

Great crafts! It was a great episode, too.

34. Brian E. says:

Mindy’s awesome!! Fantastic podcast. Everything I wanted from the fan-won podcast. Hope you guys do this again.

35. Andrew says:

That needlepoint is so great! Mindy, you were fantastic on the Hostful episode.

36. Scott S says:

I wish I could get several months of living in my studio apartment in Honolulu for $1300. That would get me nearly a month and a half. I’m not sure I want to live in Philly, though.