James Bonding #006: CASINO ROYALE with Amanda Lund and Maria Blasucci
Episode 006: James Bonding
CASINO ROYALE with Amanda…
James BondingJames Bonding

James Bonding #006: CASINO ROYALE with Amanda Lund and Maria Blasucci

Amanda Lund and Maria Blasucci join the Matts to talk about the sexiness that is James Bond and Casino Royale!

Follow @JamesBondingPOD@MattMira, and @MattGourley on Twitter!

1. Tristan Smith says:

The line is ‘Hows the lamb? – Skewered, one sympathises’

2. CT says:

Great ep – a complete 180 from the Goldfinger review. Would be fun to have those ladies back for an analysis of early-era Bond.

3. Isabel C. says:

A) Er, no, you don’t speak for all women there.
    B) God, no. Do not have these two back. “Difference feminism” plus the rambling of every too-drunk-to-walk girl I’ve ever heard on the subway. No thanks.

4. Kevin says:

Great podcast! The long running time was excusable due to the addition of your Informative and knowledgeable guests. I like the addition of the film clips to fact-check the dialogue. I also liked the presentation of music clips of the different themes that you played during the Thunderball podcast.

5. Mike says:

I made up “prequel” and “reboot”? Man, I gotta trademark that shit, people owe me money.

If this really was a prequel, they should have cast Bernard Lee as M. Just like a big studio to go with the younger, sexier, less decomposed actor.

6. Double0Kevin says:

Judi Dench as James Bond huh? Ok. Looks like you are arbitrarily making up new terms (reboot vs prequel) and rules (a girl actor playing James Bond) for the series. That’s cool. But for those of us that care a little about the history of the series, I think it might have made a little more sense for this “Reboot” to get a new M so that it fit together a little bit better but that’s just my opinion.

7. Mike says:

1. This wasn’t a prequel, it was a reboot. When you’ve got a clean slate, anything’s fair.

2. Judi Dench is the shit. Any excuse to put her in this movie is fine with me. They could have cast her as James Bond and I’d have been OK with it.

8. Double0Kevin says:

Am I the only one that thought Judi Dench shouldn’t have been in this movie? It was a prequel, and she obviously was not the first M. Don’t get me wrong I think Judi Dench is amazing and was a great M, but lets at least try and have this prequel make sense in regards to timeline. Yes I know I am trying to put a timeline on a character that never ages, yada yada yada, but it just didn’t make sense to have her in this movie. I will say that I loved the way they tied it back in at the end of Skyfall, with Moneypenny, the new M and the leather door. Just my opinion,.

9. Mike says:

Do you remember in the Pierce Brosnan years when it was rumored that the producers were trying to get Quentin Tarantino to direct the next Bond film? He said he would do it if he could adapt Casino Royale, and he wanted to make it as a period piece set in the early ’60s.

I guess that was more than the producers were willing to concede. Of course, this version was so good I’d never wish anything different. Still, sometimes I wish I could visit an alternate universe and get a look at that Casino Royale too.

10. Mike says:

One other piece of trivia that I’m surprised you missed. The old Asian lady at the poker table was played by the same actor that fucked & killed Sean Connery in the cold open from You Only Live Twice.

Also, you brought up some great lines, but you forgot my favorite.

BOND: Vodka martini.
    BARTENDER: Shaken or stirred?
    BOND: Do I look like I give a damn?

11. Mike says:

Great episode. I loved the parkour scene also, but I interpreted it exactly the opposite from how you explained it in the podcast.

You talked about Bond busting through the drywall as an indication that he’s so much tougher than the other guy he doesn’t have to waste time with the gymnastics. I thought the opposite–it’s an indication, for maybe the first time in the series, that James Bond *isn’t* as tough as someone else.

One of the silliest things about James Bond has always been the cartoonish way they make him an expert at everything. Whatever he tries, he’s the best in the world. He can ski and fence better than any Olympian, fly a jumbo jet and pilot a submarine, has PhD level knowledge in everything from geology to electrical engineering to marine biology, and is fluent in every language in the world.

I remember watching the opening scene from Casino Royale and being blown away at how they subverted that formula. A parkour expert starts running away, James Bond chases him, and guess what–he CAN’T DO PARKOUR! It was a perfect way of instantly telling the audience that we’re not watching Roger Moore anymore. Not only did it make the character seem more realistic and believable, but the way that he compensated for his clear inferiority–busting through the drywall, etc.–told us more about his real strengths and character attributes than any amount of exposition.

Anyway, I loved that scene, but it’s amazing how we can come to such different conclusions about it. I loved hearing your point of view, though. Great podcast. Keep it up.

12. kris v says:

love the show, think you guys are so funny and the match up was the best thing. this podcast has grown to one of my favs.. keep up the good work guys..

13. harlemjd says:

If she (I can’t remember which of the guests was talking about this) really wants to visit the town where this was all filmed, she needs to go to Karlovy Vary (also in the Czech Republic), not Prague. Production may have been based in Prague, but those outside scenes are primarily (if not exclusively) Karlovy Vary.

14. Dan says:

Holy smokes, I’m not the only person that thought Bond said “In a well” when describing how the guy died. I thought it was a dismissive “screw you, I don’t need to tell you how your lackey died” sort of statement, so he just said “He died in a well, whatever.” Even listening to the clip of it, it still sounds like a curt ” ‘n a well. ”

So glad that’s cleared up.

15. Johnson says:

Thanks for stating the same annoyance I have. The end of this movie feels like a perfect setup for Bond, but then there is a revenge story in Quantum, and an old age (wait, didn’t we just start?) story in Skyfall.

And (since you can’t please everyone) I thought this episode was a bit too effusive.

Oh, and I don’t mind the length. Bring on the 2 hour episodes.

16. Scott says:

My favourite Bond film also and your long review flew by.

I think that “Laissez tomber” is French for “drop it”.

17. Pete says:

Maaaan I love this show, thanks Matts for doing these.

They’re really great enough I keep wishing these were timed so they played along with the movie, sorta like, Mystery Science Theatre-Style, & followed by a good lump of whatever other critiques & storytelling afterward too. That’d probably be a shit tonne of work on top of what it already is though.

18. J-Rod says:

As much as I hated the Goldfinger podcast I adored this one.

Kudos to all.

19. SMY says:

Love this podcast guys.

In regards to the Aston Martin, Casino Royale is a complete reboot, so this is the new origin for the car. He could have two of them, but Goldfinger hasn’t happened yet in this version.

As for the comment that LeChiffre looks like he could be a good bond, in the book James is actually the one with a scar on his face so in a technically you’re right.

20. DubipR says:

Probably my favorite of the podcast so far!
    The love for Casino Royale was oozing out of my earholes with great podcasting goodness!

21. Andrew says:

Great episode. Whenever I watch Casino Royale I aleways think of the last line in Layer Cake “My name? If you knew that, you’d be as clever as me. Specifically during the Casino Royale theme “You Know My Name”. It reinforces the idea of a 007 persona/name being given to an agent. Looking forward to Thunderball with Mosier!

22. Ezra says:

That was a breath of fresh air after the agenda of the last pod. Maria should have a segment on every episode. If you re-do Goldfinger (and you should) invite these two back. Better yet, how about a MST3k commentary reel over the goldfinger podcast? I’m normally not very passionate, but I really hated the goldfinger episode. The difference being commentary from people who can at least appreciate something for what it is was a vast improvement over people commenting on how much they appreciate what they’re saying.

23. The Dude says:

Left negative feedback for the last one, so should balance it out here – probably my favorite episode since the first

The biggest difference between this one & the last one isn’t whether or not they are fans of the series (Emily Gordon’s appearance was another great one for a non-traditional Bond fan) – it’s the fact that this wasn’t 90 minutes of two ladies constantly talking over the top of each other, and the hosts while trying to derail the conversation.

Great job guys, fantastic, fun episode – also awesome to note that the episode ran for nearly as long as the film itself this time…. would love to see a commentary track as a “special episode” at some point…

24. gamespokerr says:

The US studio will use the investment to help the company expand and support the development of its debut title, Blackjack Casino.

25. jane says:

Amanda Lund and Maria Blasucci are the best. They need to come back!

26. Adam says:

This was a great episode. I can’t wait for Mosier next week. Eveyr podcast needs a bit of Mosier.

27. BK says:

Now this is how the podcast should be. Not the Feminists Unite! movement that was the last one.

I enjoyed that this one was longer. Really got down to the nitty gritty and I appreciated it.

Though I did find the one girl’s utter infatuation with D. Craig/Bond a bit off-putting. As well as her insistence of what women really wanted from a guy was a James Bond type attitude… yikes.

28. Kathryn says:

Another good podcast, guys… but I found the whole ‘this is what all women want’ thing about Bond from one of the guests to be really uncomfortable. He might be what she wants but not what I want. Her insistence that she was speaking for all women was a bit insulting.

As for how long these episode are… How about the podcast shouldn’t be any longer than the film they are discussing? Just an idea.

29. Joshua Bryan Hammack says:

Really enjoyed this episode. Daniel Craig is my Bond. (Followed by Dalton) So I am sad that instead of being at the end of a very fine run, I have no more Craig Bonds to look forward to. Yeah I am going to re-watch both this film and Quantum of S soon

30. Andy says:

@James, most Bond movies are over 2 hours long. I really don’t think this needs any editing.

31. Edward Gundrum says:

Loved this episode as it is exactly what I wanted in the podcast, highlighting the best stuff, poking fun at the bad stuff, and learning little bits about the movie. All while enjoying the movies at the same time.

32. Three Toes of Fury says:

@cdr…..i see what you did there…..(#LoL!)

Matt+Matt+Amanda+Maria = awesome-sauce, shaken and stirred.
    Freaking wonderful podcast gang! If your mission was to make me want to rewatch this movie as fast as freakin possible…well then…mission accomplished.

Please let me know the specific dates that you will be heading to Ian Flemmings place in Jamaica. I’ll reach out to fellow fans of the podcast to organize a group trip to the island the same weekend. We’ll stay someplace close by, dress as bond villians, and periodically attack ya’ll thoughout the weekend with paintballs, potato canons, and water ballon sling shots. Afterwards: bbq fish n red stripes on the beach. mmmmmmm

As for Bond: Fingers crossed that we see more of the uber-evil-quantum-meets-spectre organization in the next bond flick.

Peace & Baccarat To the Future

3ToF, bond villian who’s quirk (this week) is blood dripping regularly from superfluous 3rd nipple.

33. cdr says:

I listened to this episode in a well.

34. Brook says:

Wanted to let you guys know that Glen Weldon of the NPR podcast Pop Culture Happy Hour gave your podcast a shout out as the thing that was making him happy this week and I couldn’t agree with him more.

35. James says:

God damn, this podcast has really hit its stride. These last few episodes and this one included have just been great. My only criticism is (this episode in particular) the podcast could use some editing. Maybe put the upper barrier at like hour and half (maybe the same as the average Bond movie length). I think trimming a bit of fat here and there would really push this podcast to its full potential.

36. LevelledUp says:

Perfect. I’ve liked each podcast so far, in different ways and to different degrees. But these were the easiest guests to listen to.

37. Paul says:

Redo Goldfinger with Amanda and Maria…. And then redo Casino Royale with Alie and Georgia

38. Wildride says:

“Laissez tomber.”=”Let it drop.”

39. Wildride says:

Wait, that guy that did a bit role on an episode of Drop the Dead Donkey is Bond now/? Just me?

40. Ian says:

41. John G. says:

Loved this episode, and really, I love the podcast.

Casino Royale is my favorite Bond movie and I love hearing this total gush fest for the film.

42. Todd says:

This one was everything that last week’s was lacking. Loved this episode!

43. Miles says:

I’m a girl and I’m named Miles and I got SO excited when Amanda suggested that Lady M’s name could be Miles. I’m not 7. I’m 21. There is no reason for me to have gotten that excited.

44. Ryan says:

Great episode! The time just flew by.

45. RedHerb says:

Another excellent episode guys and girls! I’m really enjoying the different perspectives! One of my favourite bonds.

This time I noticed those Skyfall parallels as well, the ear piece, Bond’s intrusive nature. Also he gets shot at in a construction vehicle (a bulldozer) although in Skyfall he ends up getting hit. I’m sure there’s more!

While I didn’t mind last week’s episode, I much prefer it when you guys go scene by scene and breakdown the movies and dish out trivia and interesting tid bits, last week’s was a bit scattered and went off topic more often.

Keep up the great work!

46. Vincent S says:

Can you please place pictures of the guests or links to the things they put out on the next episode post? It would be appreciated. Thanks.

47. Scott says:

Such a fun episode, and two hours of it at that. After the brutality of Goldfinger this had exactly the perfect tone. I hope these two guests are brought back for another go in the future.

48. EZ says:

Not that this the first hole ever in a Bond movie, but they would have only lost money on the stock if the price went up. Short selling is not betting, but essentially borrowing, reselling, and repaying the borrower, hoping the price went down. If the stock stayed the same price, he won’t lose any money. The stock price would have to somehow double immediately for him to actually lost all the money.

• Jono says:

I guess one assumes that since the Skyfleet prototype was successfully unveiled and not blown up, their stock went up.

49. Spencer says:

I started watching bond movies because of this show. I found the whole Mathis plotline a little confusing but overall I loved this bond movie it’s topped my previous favorite From Russia with Love.

50. Andy says:

The Hobbyist Embalmer, this fall on CBS! Fantastic episode as usual guys! Loved it.