[Warning: this post contains mild spoilers from tonight’s midseason finale of Gotham, “Rise of the Villains: Worse Than a Crime.”]
Halfway through season two, it’s clear that Gotham is having a complete rebirth as a totally new show. Gone are the issues that plagued the Fox/DC Comics drama in its freshman outing. Sure, it’s not a perfect show. Far from it. (And honestly, show us any show that’s “perfect” and we’ll show you a liar.) But Gotham is getting damn near close to being one thanks to all the major creative changes the showrunners put into effect for this “Rise of the Villains” run. They clearly knew what was working and what wasn’t, and that resulted in one of the biggest course-corrections on a TV show ever.
So with each episode this season getting better and better, it should come as no surprise to anyone that tonight’s incredible, game-changing fall finale is one of the best episodes yet. “Rise of the Villains: Worse Than a Crime” does a stellar job in tying up many of the loose ends and answering questions that have been posed all season long while also setting up what’s to come in the second half of the season. Plus, there’s some killer action scenes and one shot in particular that will leave you screaming “Whaaaaat?!” at your TV, and cursing the TV gods for ever inventing the term “hiatus.” Is it time for midseason premieres yet?!
While Nerdist has seen the epic hour early, we know you, the fans, still have to wait a few hours until you can see it too. So why not let us make that wait a little bit easier with five non-spoiler spoilers from the episode? Dig in and get ’em while they’re hot!
- The midseason finale picks right up where last week’s episode left off, after Tabitha lodged her knife square in Alfred’s shoulders. And let’s just say that Alfred is having a really, really trashy day. Getting stabbed while riding on the back of a garbage truck is only the start of a series of truly awful events. Honestly, getting tased in the face? Not cool.
- There is some major discord in the Galavan household, despite the fact that their grand revenge plan is about to unfold with Bruce’s ceremonial death. It’s clear that Tabitha is so over Theo’s plan, and she’s not afraid to voice her opinions of it all. But is it too little too late for this femme fatale?
- But that’s not the only female Galavan second-guessing their plans … Silver might actually have some compassion after all, and doesn’t want to go through with killing Bruce! Color us shocked. But will she remain steadfast in her feelings, or will she succumb to Theo’s manipulations?
- Waking up in the company of Edward Nygma and Oswald Cobblepot singing karaoke with each other is just as weird as you’d expect. Gordon’s reaction? Priceless.
- Nygma may have found his riddle-loving match in Lucius Fox. Do we spy a new bromance forming … or will this relationship take on a much more malicious nature?
What are you most excited to see from tonight’s midseason finale, Gotham fans? Let us know that, plus all your theories on what’s going down in tonight’s episode, in the comments section below!
Gotham airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on Fox.