Excluding the random beef between Wiz Khalifa and Kanye West, it has been a rather quiet Wednesday.
However, the gaming world did have one random announcement coming from EA, and there’s also a nice update incoming for those slain by Boba Fett in Star Wars: Battlefront. So, let’s get right into it. In today’s Gaming Daily, a new Rise of the Tomb Raider PC trailer dropped, new LEGO Dimensions trailer shows what happens when four doctors collide, EA is skipping E3 this year, the credit sequence in LEGO Marvel’s Avengers hints at TT Games next title, and Star Wars: Battlefront gets a massive update.
New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC trailer
Square Enix has released a brand new Rise of the Tomb Raider PC trailer, highlighting some of the technical upgrades that have been included in the newest version of the game. First, it’s important to note that the PC version is definitely for those that want the best looking experience. Ambient lighting has been improved, textures are richer, there’s more detail on uneven surfaces, foliage is much more dynamic, and distant locations are more visible. Check out the full rundown above.
There’s something to be said about how immersion into an experience correlates to the graphics, but honestly, the differences are negligible when compared to the Xbox One version for most people. Seriously, it’s not like the console version is ugly. Obviously, a lot of work went into making the game even prettier, but those who’ve already completed the game don’t need to repurchase it.
That said, PC-buffs will be very happy with all of the options available. I had the chance to play this newest version last week, and fiddling with the graphical settings was easy enough. The foliage was the most impressive aspect; The world just seemed much livelier.
HT: Square Enix
New LEGO Dimensions trailer includes all the Docs.
A new LEGO Dimensions trailer featuring all four of the doctors now in the game: The Doctor, Doc Brown, Dr. Venkman, and Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel has launched, and it’s amazing. The hilarious clip (above) features a scenario where all four interact, and of course it includes the usual comedic touch from TT Games. Each one of these iconic doctors now enjoys his or her own add-on content pack in the game, so you can make your own scenarios with these whacky characters.
EA to skip this year’s E3
Interestingly enough, EA will be skipping E3 this year, opting to instead host a three-day event from June 12 to 14 at the Club Nokia at LA Live. EA Play, as they’re calling it, will be a whole lot like Sony’s PlayStation Experience; New games will be playable, competitions will take place, memorabilia will be given away, and it’s open to the public. Can’t make it? A live stream covering all of the activity on the floor will be hosted by EA as well. Those in London will also be able to attend a similar one-day event in The Mermaid. You can sign up here to get more information on how to nab a ticket when they become available.
EA usually has one of the largest booths on the E3 show floor, so it’s going to be strange to have that space filled by someone else.
This move is a smart one on EA’s part, though. Despite not having the same following as PlayStation, the company knows that E3 is all about the big three: Nintendo, Microsoft, and PlayStation. By opting to take this approach, they get a whole three days to themselves. Also, by having the whole thing occur right before E3, it assures them that media folks will be in town. It’s brilliant.
LEGO Marvel’s Avengers credit sequence hints at next game.
Like its big screen counterpart, the recently released LEGO Marvel’s Avengers has an end credit scene, hinting at what’s to come in the next installment. And surprise, surprise, it appears like we’re going to get a LEGO Guardians of the Galaxy! It’s obviously not confirmed yet, but TT Games has a tendency to hint at their future games in credit sequences. Still, it’s exciting to think we might soon be able to play as a LEGO version of Rocket Raccoon. Let the hype begin!
Star Wars: Battlefront gets a massive update.
EA is finally making some much-needed tweaks to Star Wars: Battlefront‘s gameplay and characters. Earlier today, the publisher posted a (very) long list of fixes and changes to the game. Boba’s weapons are less effective, and The Millennium Falcon and Slave I have a lower health bar.
Here’s the full list:
- Multiplayer modes added to the Tatooine Survival map (Blast, Droid Run, Hero Hunt, Heroes vs Villains, Drop Zone)
- Hoth Luke Skywalker skin added
- Hoth Han Solo skin added
- Private match functionality added
- Daily challenges added
- Setting for actively choosing server site added
Weapon and Star Card changes:
- EE-3 Explosive shot damage decreased from 10 to 4 per shot
- SE-14C Explosive shot damage decreased from 10 to 5 per shot
- Homing Shot lock on time increased from 0.4 to 1.5
- Homing Shot lock on distance decreased by 10 meters
- Homing Shot projectile speed decreased from 30 to 23
- RTC-97 overheat value is increased by 8%
- Bowcaster replenish time tweaked (Normal 18 to 25 and Upgrade 15 to 20)
- Flash Grenade replenish time tweaked (Normal 16 to 20 and Upgrade 12 to 15)
- ION Torpedo replenish time tweaked (Normal 15 to 25 and Upgrade 12 to 20)
- Thermal Detonator replenish time tweaked (Normal 15 to 20 and Upgrade 10 to 15)
- Impact Grenade replenish time tweaked (Normal 16 to 25 and Upgrade 12 to 20)
- Explosive Shot active time tweaked (Normal 7 to 5 and Upgrade 10 to 7)
- Scan Ping recharge time tweaked (Normal 8 to 10 and Upgrade 5 to 8)
- Cycler Rifle bullet dropoff reduced
- Cycler Rifle damage increased from 90 to 100 at close range (10 meters)
- DL-44 overheat tweaked and fire rate changed from 250 to 180.
- Bounty Hunter trait card Level 3 reward percentage lowered from 100% to 85%
- Fully charged (5 shots) Bowcaster damage per projectile decreased from 50 to 15, otherwise (1 or 3 shot) bowcaster damage per projectile decreased from 50 to 10
- ION Torpedo lock on range decreased from 600 to 500 meters
- Smart Rocket lock on range changed from 1000 to 500 meters
- RTC-97 spread is increased when firing for a longer period
- Scan Ping tweaked to have 50% shorter spotting time
- Scan Ping active time decreased from 7 to 2
- Barrage recharge times increased, Normal from 18 to 40 and Upgrade from 15 to 35
- Explosive Shot active time decreased, Normal from 7 to 5 and Upgrade from 10 to 7
- Starfighters pickups have a 20 second respawn delay
- T-47 Airspeeder pickups have a 10 second respawn delay
- Millennium Falcon and Slave I health decreased by 30%
Game Mode Changes:
- Removed a turbolaser on Sullust which could be used for spawn killing
- Turbolaser respawn time has been increased with 15 seconds
- New friend zones and additional spawn points for Supremacy maps
- New friend zones and additional spawn points for Walker Assault maps
- New friend zones and additional spawn points for Turning Point on Jakku
- Bugfix for crashing instantly when spawning in a vehicle on Jakku
- Fighter Squadron hero vehicle pickups have more randomized timing
- Fixed a Heroes vs Villains bug where players could use their cards in pre-round that got corrected by server
- Updated spawn management between big and small game modes
- Reduced the match bonus for Blast from 2000 to 1000
- Reduced the Win bonus for Blast from 750 to 500
- Increased the Match bonus for Hero Hunt from 1000 to 1750
- Reduced the Win bonus for Hero Hunt from 500 to 250
- Reduced score for dealing damage to AI X-Wings and AI TIE Figthers from 20 to 10
- New game mode minimum player count thresholds:
- Walker Assault 20
- Supremacy 20
- Dropzone 4
- Blast 4
- Cargo 4
- Fighter Squadron 4
- Hero Hunt 4
- Droid Run 4
- Heroes Vs Villains 4
- Turning Point 20
- Han Solo weapon damage over distance is lowered. Damage goes from 70 (was 75) to 30 (was 35) between 10 (was 20) and 25 (was 40) meters
- Boba Fett weapon damage over distance is lowered. Damage goes from 30 to 20 (was 25) between 30 and 60 (was 80) meters
- Boba Fett wristlauncher explosion radius decreased from 4 to 2.5, maxiumum damage increased from 1 to 1.2 meters
- Boba Fett missile doesn’t lock on anymore
- Stun inducing attacks now properly trigger stun animation loop
- Fixing an issue where melee’ing at nothing completly stopped your movement
- After the transition from the AT-AT the user screen could remain black, this is now fixed
- Several instances of rocks that players could get stuck on have been fixed
- Speederbike – Inconsistence between the range when you see the prompt button and when you could actually use the vehicle
- Survival weapons behaved differently than MP, now brought in-line
- Jakku – Invisible collision located on the landed Rebel transport ship
- Users with the most kills will now not be prevented from get the Trophy / Achievement ”Playing the objective” in Blast
The patch will also add private matches, a Tatooine map, and new skins for both Luke and Han. Say what you will about EA, but they’ve heard the criticism of this game, and have used it to improve the whole package. Hopefully, the free updates will keep pouring in.
That’s it for today, folks. Are you as impressed as I am that EA is continuing support for Star Wars: Battlefront? Are you still playing the game? Which of the updates posted above excite you the most? Let us know in the comments below!