When it comes to Dungeons & Dragons, anything is possible. Literally anything, provided you can daydream it and do some basic math. Armed with your imagination, pen, paper, and polyhedral dice, D&D allows players to transport themselves to another world, where they are the protagonists of their own epic stories. This is what makes the confluence of events, personalities, and deeply silly jokes that resulted in Force Grey: Giant Hunters just that much more special. Last week saw the season premiere of our dungeon-crawling summer series in which some of your favorite celebrities, comedians, and actors gathered together for an epic adventure in the faraway realm of Faerûn, offering fans a first-look at the official Storm King’s Thunder adventure coming out this fall.
With Critical Role‘s dungeon master extraordinaire Matthew Mercer pulling the narrative puppet strings, our stalwart band of adventurers is in for a real treat in episode two. Or utter doom, considering the fact that there are giants on the loose who could crush our heroes into a fine paste of blood, bone, and leftover ale. As for what manner of mayhem you can expect this week, you’ll just have to watch for yourself…but you can bet your bottom dollar that it’ll include fishing aphorisms, magic missiles, and a sassy dragon.
For a quick refresher, here’s who is playing who:
- Chris Hardwick (@midnight, Talking Dead) as Whil Wee-Tawn, a “bookish elf wizard”
- Ashley Johnson (Blindspot) as Dagny Halvor, a half-orc cleric who builds all manner of tiny clockwork automatons.
- Jonah Ray (Mystery Science Theater 3000) as Joppa, a human monk with a deep-seated passion for fishing.
- Shelby Fero (Robot Chicken) as Brawlwin Chainminer, a dwarf fighter with “a floating shield and a crippling fear of heights.”
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (The Mindy Project) as Hitch, a human rogue who always has a joke at the ready
And here’s the first episode in case you need to catch up. After all, you don’t want to miss the sweet, sweet magic missile-blastin’ action of episode one!
Storm King’s Thunder is available this fall from Wizards of the Coast. In the meantime, make it your weekly quest to return to Nerdist every Monday for a brand new episode of Force Grey: Giant Hunters.
What did you think of episode two? What is your favorite moment of the series so far? What do you think will happen next time? Let us know in the comments below.