Update: Curious as to what entries should look like? We’ve added in some of our favorites below!
By now you’ve probably stopped hyperventilating from the alternately claustrophia and agoraphobia-inducing trailers for Alfonso Cuarón’s sci-fi thriller Gravity, starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock as two astronauts who are stranded in space with a limited air supply. The thing is, here at Nerdist, we’re hyperventilating for a different reason: excitement. Why are we excited? Because we’re teaming up with Warner Bros. and Cuarón to put on an epic Gravity-themed contest, the pull of which your interest will not be able to escape.
Pretty neat, huh? That ought to tide you over until Gravity begins orbiting screens on October 4th. To reiterate what our esteemed panel of judges said, we want YOU to create a video or photo of your interpretation of zero gravity. Do you want to read a poem? Great! Do you want to make a sweded version of Flight of the Conchords’ “Bowie” using only hamsters? Great! What we want to see, above all else, is your creative take on this open-ended prompt. The contest runs from today through September 25, 2013, at which time no one in space will be able to hear you scream about how you needed one more day.
How do you enter? We’re glad you asked! Upload your entry to Vine, Instagram, YouTube, Mixbit, etc. and tweet them out into the infinite blackness of cyberspace with the hashtag #ZeroGravityContest. Our panel of judges – Mythbusters’ Grant Imahara, Outer Space’s Bobak Ferdowsi, RocketJump’s Freddie Wong and our own Matt Mira – will pick their favorites and Gravity director Alfonso Cuarón will pick the grand prize winner who will be announced and featured on Nerdist.com on October 4th, have their video hosted on the Nerdist Channel and will win a trip to Los Angeles to receive a one-on-one science experience with the mohawked man who landed a rover on Mars, Bobak Ferdowsi. And judging by the meticulous attention he pays to his follicles, you can bet that you’ll receive that same level of detail and care once you win.
Check out some of our favorite entries so far!
– Stefan (@Stefman398) September 6, 2013
Are you excited to see Gravity? Have any questions? Let us know in the comments below!
– At the time of entry, each entrant must be a Twitter follower of Nerdist @NerdistChannel and must be the age of majority in his/her state of residence.
– All submissions must be posted via Twitter using the hashtag #ZeroGravityContest between 5:30 pm PT on September 4, 2013 and midnight PT on September 25, 2013 in order to be eligible to win.
– One grand prize winner will be contacted via direct message or @-reply on Twitter on October 4th and asked to supply an e-mail address with which to verify his/her win.
– Winner will have 24 hours to reply to the Tweet or he/she will forfeit his/her chance to win and another winner will be selected
-Transportation and lodging to be determined and provided by Nerdist Industries.
-Winner will be selected and notified on or about October 4th, 2013.
-If you have a specific question about the rules of this contest, please email email@example.com with RULES REQUEST and the name of the contest in the subject line and your questions(s) in the body of the email.
-All rules and regulations of this contest are governed by and subject to the Official Rules, as set forth at http://www.nerdist.com/nerdist-industries-gravity-contest-rules/.
– Sponsor: Nerdist Industries, LLC, 1840 Valpreda Street, Burbank, CA 91504