Endangered Savers!

George S. Clason wrote The Richest Man in Babylon to teach basic money saving/wealth-building techniques through the art of parable. It’s a great book and should be required reading in school, as far as I’m concerned.

Another way to teach people about saving money is to storm them on the streets of San Francisco and stick them into an impromptu game show hosted by me, which I did recently. Every Wednesday, the Capital One folkses will be highlighting a different, 4 min episode of “Save Our Savers,” the short-form show they asked me to host for them. Remember how we talked about this before? Today’s ep has a freaking ONE MAN BAND guy in it.

Here’s the link–>

Game shows and sponsorships aside, the basic message is very important and one that I hope you take seriously: SAVE. YOUR. MONEY. At least some of it. Whenever you get paid, kick some percentage of it into a savings account, no matter how small. It will grow before you know it. OF COURSE it’s fun to just buy crap, and I spend a lot of time telling you about cool crap to buy–just make sure you can afford it.

My dad does a great thing that I’ve always admired: he pre-pays all of his vacations. It takes a little planning, but he sets up a fund wherein instead of saving x% of his monthly income, he saves x% – a little for the vacation. It may not sound as romantic as the spontaneous cash drop that I, myself, have been guilty of in the past, but by the time he’s ready to leave he has absolutely no worries about his excursion and he can enjoy the trip on every level.

Saving up also teaches you discipline and gives you a sense of reward, and those things last longer emotionally than binge-spending. I promise!

1) save a little each time you get paid
2) try pre-paying things you want in small increments in advance

I heart you.

1. Hannahbeth says:

Aww, I used to complain of fake tummy aches when I was little just to get a tummy rub. It’s a very soothing form of affection to a kid that never got hugs. I still think you would make the greatest dad ever.

2. nutbastard says:

I tried saving as hard as i could, but I think i tried too hard, because now I’m completely spent.

3. Deltus says:

Saving money is a lesson I’m learning. It’s difficult, but once you get started it’s not so bad. You have to get into the habit though.

4. james says:

we heart you, chris hardwick!
    yesterday i called in sick and shopped online. whoops.

5. Chris Hardwick says:

Belly rubs are an underrated pleasantry.

6. Scrufy 1 says:

The chick in episode 3 totaly rubbed your belly. I bet she wanted to touch your junk xD

Good advice. Wakin up with a couple grand in the bank outa nowhere is pretty sweet

7. sean says:

I heart WHO. and thats what i learned from this site

8. Nesgreth says:

I heart you too! I try to put some and end up taking some. But i watch it grow. Yay for untouchable CD….

9. deb says:

I heart you too, Chris, as I am sure many others do!
    What a great topic to address, especially at this time.
    If I can ever land a new job–and am lucky enough that it pays to not only keep a roof over me but also to save–I want to try your dad’s cool technique!

10. Patti says:

I heart you, too, Chris. I love the game show. Believe me, I put money into my bank account every chance I get. I’m all for saving money, and I’m glad you want all your gentle readers to do the same. It’s nice to know you care.