EDITOR’S NOTE: Above, you’ll find a video wrapup hosted by Ashley Eckstein and Carrie Keagan of Day 1 of Course of the Force, the star-studded lightsaber relay from Skywalker Ranch to San Diego to benefit the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Our own Dan Casey is also reporting via the Nerdist Channel, and he’s recapping each day at courseoftheforce.starwars.com, where he posted this:
Veni, vidi, Vader! That’s right – we came, we saw, we hung out with Darth Vader today at scenic Skywalker Ranch for the kickoff of Course of the Force 2013. Celebrity runners like Alexis Denisof, Chris Colfer, Adrienne Curry, Jaime King, Kyle Newman, Jared Eng and many more joined our hosts Carrie Keagan and Ashley Eckstein to launch a truly epic first day at the sprawling estate and raise a whole sail barge-load worth of Republic credits for the Make-a-Wish Foundation. With everything from homemade gold spandex C-3PO costumes to a Bantha burger buffet, the bar has been set pretty high for this year’s COTF. Fortunately, there’s still 8 days to go, so there will be plenty of opportunities to raise it higher and higher. And now, without further ado, what you’ve all been waiting for – the day’s highlights. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
– Host Ashley Eckstein’s husband, former pro baseball player David Eckstein helped the Stormtroopers prepare for their big game.
– Ashley was no slouch herself as she donned her Tuesday finest for today’s opening ceremonies.
– Alexis Denisof in a homemade C-3PO costume, running like a real-life protocol droid with the official COTF lightsaber
– Chris Colfer carried a furry friend on his back during his quarter-mile. Which friend, you ask? None other than Chewbacca. Guess they remained pals after the Glee/Star Wars crossover.
– Fanboys director Kyle Newman brought his A-game to this year’s Course of the Force.
– Sometimes in the middle of all this unbridled costumed athleticism, you need to stop and smell the roses.
– Skywalker Ranch is patrolled by Scout Troopers, but they use the more environmentally friendly bicycle rather than speeder bikes. And Course of the Force host Carrie Keagan captured it on video.
– Participants dined on a mouthwatering Star Wars spread including Bantha Burgers, Vader’s Vegan Veggie Burgers, Qui-Gon Juice and more. Take the whole video tour of the Coruscant comestibles and Tatooine treats!
– Even protocol droids need to take a break to spend some time with their families! Alexis Denisof, Alyson Hannigan and their lovely children hung out with Darth Vader after dad’s segment. While you check it all out, don’t forget to consult the schedule and fundraising pages, too.
Stay tuned to the official Course of the Force Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feed for live updates and behind the scenes photos and be sure to subscribe to the Nerdist Channel to catch the latest recap videos, interviews and more! Find out how to register for a leg of the race or how you can make a donation to Make-a-Wish. May the Force be with you always and I’ll see you on the Course!