Illustrator extraordinaire Dana Lechtenberg has curated a bitchin’ new 7-inch box set called Thirty Three And A Third, which features songs from bands like Black Flag, The Nerves, Misfits and Wheatus, as interpreted by No Age, Eel Bros (which consists of Man Man’s Honus Honus and Hot Karate’s King Cyrus), Andrew Jackson Jihad‘s Sean Bonnette and Rozwell Kid.
The collection ties in with Lechtenberg’s recent art show at L.A.’s Gallery 1988, which ran December 5-21, 2014.
“Having the artists do all cover songs for the project ties in directly with the art show’s theme — artists reimagining and reinterpreting classic album covers,” Lechtenberg told Stereogum.com. Each artist that collaborated on the project selected two songs to cover.
The box set is currently on sale for $40 at Gallery 1988’s site and is limited to 400 copies.
More deets on the music and packaging:
– Colored vinyl (brown, orange, white and bronze)
– Produced by Pirates Press of San Francisco
– Artwork on each sleeve features “half of a beast”
– Eight cover songs performed by four different artists
The full tracklisting includes:
– Eel Bros (featuring Honus Honus from Man Man and King Cyrus King from Hot Karate) – “Hanging on the Telephone” by the Nerves and made popular by Blondie / “Blood and Tears” by Danzig
– No Age – “Six Pack” by Black Flag / “Sex Beat” by The Gun Club
– Sean Bonnette (from Andrew Jackson Jihad) – “I Melt With You” by Modern English / “London Dungeon” by Misfits
– Rozwell Kid – “Teenage Dirtbag” by Wheatus / “Simple Man” by Graham Nash