AMC Bets On SModCo, Ramps Up THE WALKING DEAD Spin-off

Following great success from various projects on the network, AMC made a bold move today and announced plans to not only renew the popular reality series Comic Book Men from Kevin Smith for another season, but also green-light a pilot for a potential new weekly late night series starring Smith and his Hollywood Babble-On co-host and KROQ Los Angeles Kevin and Bean sidekick Ralph Garman. Considering the two will host together, it’s no surprise the series, for the moment, is being dubbed Hollywood Babble-On at this stage of development. In addition, a docuseries related to Comic Book Men is being put into development and will focus on frequent series guest Robert Bruce. But the Kevin Smith news is not all the network has planned.

While news on the announced Walking Dead “companion series” has been slim, today the network revealed Sons of Anarchy co-executive producer Dave Erickson is going to be joining with Robert Kirkman to pen the new zombie drama and will executive produce should it go to series. This announcement comes days before the finale of the current season of The Walking Dead and right off the heels of MyNetworkTV nabbing exclusive syndication rights for the show starting this fall.

HT: Deadline

Two New HARRY POTTER Books Set to Arrive This October

Two New HARRY POTTER Books Set to Arrive This October

article
GAME OF THRONES Season 7 Premiere Recap: Ass, Sass, and Dragonglass

GAME OF THRONES Season 7 Premiere Recap: Ass, Sass, and Dragonglass

article
The Latest FULL METAL ALCHEMIST Trailer is Full of Lust, Gluttony, and Envy

The Latest FULL METAL ALCHEMIST Trailer is Full of Lust, Gluttony, and Envy

article

Comments

1. Zombie Addict says:

That would be awesome….the two shows could also have an epic cross over show where they eventually cross paths … Or almost! Hehe. How cruel ! Hahaha

2. Lori Ayers says:

I don’t care what they do for spin offs, as long as they don’t cancel The Walking Dead!!!

3. Ani Heart says:

How could anyone not like/love Kevin Smith or any projects he has going on. I am not into comics but I love watching the show and would give anything Kevin is doing a try. A spinoff of the Walking Dead would be interesting but instead of it only being in one part of the world they should show several places. If AMC could actually but money into any of their productions I think they could go a long way with this series.

4. I have to say, someone pissed in Ken’s cheerios. I like CBM, and All of Kevin Smith’s projects. I am even trying to get my podcast into the Smodiverse of Kevin Smith programming. While I may be a fanboy, I do not go to other sites to bitch about content I don’t like and talk shit. People are so sad in their normal lives, they think we want to hear all their crap about why they think a show sucks… Is Ken’s last name “Nielson”? Keep up the great work AMC and Kevin Smith. TELL EM’ STEVE DAVE!

5. Bob says:

Instead of a spin off, why don’t they just make for episodes of the walking dead. It’s been really weak the past few years. #gettingbored

6. Jack says:

Walking Dead BLOWS !!!!

7. Al From Maine says:

I say “Walking Dead-Detroit” they could save a ton of money filming there and not need to build sets!

8. i want the walking dead to have TWO-HOUR EPISODES!!!
    one is not enough!

9. Brett says:

I can’t believe My Network TV got syndication rights. They are cutting out language, gore and all the good stuff that makes the show the best ever. Shame on who ever is the one that did this.

10. Cindy says:

Comic Book men? Really? It is probably the WORST show on TV that exists today…I wouldn’t call it Pawn Stars for nerds, but Pawn Stars for baby men that never grew up. I sure hope it’s not a west coast Walking Dead…that would ruin it…one of the reasons it’s a hit is because people can identify with the show and the characters. Most of us don’t live on the left coast so have nothing in common with those people. I wouldn’t watch it…just another waste of air time like Comic Book men.

11. MacGyver says:

I was envisioning a spin off of walking dead where Jay and Silent bob walk around killing zombies and searching for weed and their lost monkey…. id watch that.

12. Custer says:

Ken, I love how you use “It’s like Pawn Stars for Nerds” as a negative statement.
    On the Nerdist.

13. Matthew Paugh says:

awesome for HBO, can’t wait
    game of arms, want to like is as I know the sport and some of the guys in it, but the show is too cheesy
    i would love to see a walking dead spin off that doesn’t follow any one particular group, but cuts to mini arcs of different groups or people around the planet dealing with this

14. Mike says:

@Greg – I must be doing something wrong then, since nowhere near 99.99% of my time is spent doing “restocking and order placements”.

However, I _will_ agree that a show detailing the life of a comic book shop might not be interesting without all of CBM’s scripted situations.

15. Shane says:

Hollywood Babbleon is ridiculously funny. I look forward to it weekly! Anything Kevin Smith usually has my vote,so bring it all on. And more Walking Dead… as long as they hash out character development like they currently do in the series, I can be all for it. I don’t think it will take away at all from the original, just another way for us zombie fans to get our fix.

16. Kristoffer says:

the running dead

17. Comic Book men is not the nerd version of Pawn Stars nor is it supposed to be remotely representative of “the comic book market”. It’s just an excuse for Kevin Smith to shoot bull, which is always entertaining.

I just hope they buy him a second shirt…

18. Terry says:

Well not every comic book store has a Hollywood movie producer behind it or the name Jay and Silent Bob’s. And 1/2 hour is about 5% of a work week so the 99% is not far off on the actual ratio of stacking shelves. It’s entertainment. As some one who started reading Marvel when the first ones came out I enjoy the run down memory lane. That’s all it professes to be.
    I think “hate” is a little excessive but of course it is reflective the state of the U$A.

19. Sarah says:

Spin off series? Very bad idea. I am a very big fan of the series and I think its a big mistake

20. Jessica Duffy says:

I owned a comic book store for the better part of a decade in the 2000’s and i think Comic Book Men is very accurate to the day to day life of a comic book store. Other than a few walks ins and the regulars who had pull lists two thirds of the people who came into my shop wanted to sell me stuff. It’s just the reality of owning a business that deals in collectibles. Everyone thinks their holo-foil cover of Rob Liefeld’s shitty art from the nineties must be worth a fortune just cause they see some old books getting news time for being sold at auction.

people come in to comic shops every day expecting you to tell them their box of nineties crap is worth a mint and they can retire off of the wad of bills you’ll happily hand over.

If anything about the “Pawn Stars” nature of Comic Book Men is inaccurate its the frequency that Walt actually pays for something. My shop almost never had any money in the till much less enough to buy someones Secret Wars #7.

21. Becky Weems Moore says:

A walking dead spin off, hmmm. I am so in love with this series. And, alot of the characters have changed so much it wouldn’t be very hard to get into another show. But, Rick and Double D will always have my heart!!

22. Ed says:

“…I want to beat the crap out of them all. Especially the guy with the beard”

With comments like that YOU make yourself look stupid. You sound like a pompous, elitist comic book nerd.

23. Steve Chaput says:

Glad to hear that Comic Book Men is being picked up. I do wonder what a spin-off series with deal with.

It will be interesting to see what Kirkman and Ericson will do with another zombie series. There are characters in WD that I’d love to see spun-off, but I understand that this will be a separate group, although I expect an eventual cross-over of some sort.

24. emil says:

I HATE comic book men. Every single person on that “show” is obnoxious. I love comic books and they make us look so stupid it sickens me. I want to beat the crap out of them all. Especially the guy with the beard

25. Austin says:

I’m pretty sure that there should be a Walking Dead network…

26. Charles says:

I like Comic Book Men in spite of Kevin Smith. I was a fan before, but, he’s gotten annoying. I do, however, love the Tell ‘Em Steve-Dave! guys and Mike and Ming from the I Sell Comics podcasts. I would watch Hollywood Babble-On as well because Ralph Garman is awesome. The anger works for him.

27. Shaun says:

I love the comic book men! Kevin is all about his friends and how many people would do what he does for his friends like he does! I am a paranormal investigator and i am with my friends and we would do the same we also have a podcast radio show called wanna be leave radio. on http://www.paraspeak.com So its great to see long time friends stick together that long and be there through the good and bad!! He is not in it for the money he is in it for the fun!!

28. Geoff says:

The new companion series won’t be “dressed down” the reruns will be edited for time and content. Right?

29. MaryAnne says:

I would like to see how people in the mid-west might fair in the zombie apocalypse with the snow and shelter being scarce.

30. kate says:

Walking dead Spin off means. Different people, different location, and they arn’t going to dress it down.

31. Torre says:

I love the Comic book men. Not sure why someone needs to watch the walking dead dressed down but ok. I wont be watching on that network…

32. Tracy says:

Would live to see a west coast version, prequel of how it started also.

33. Cory says:

Love HBO and been a fan since day 1… not sure if it will translate well to T.V. but we’ll see. Happy for them 🙂 HBO, TESD, and SMODcast are my goto’s 🙂

34. Lbass says:

I loved Comic Book Men! The first year it was on early enough to watch it on a sunday nite before work. The second year the put it on at MIDNIGHT – WTF!!! of course only a few can watch it then. And the repeats were on Tuesdays mornings at 7:00am or something as equally ridicules!

35. Shawn says:

Not sure where you got the idea that syndication required 100 episodes but it is merely a guideline and not a hard and fast rule. In recent years that has been reduced to 88 episodes. Star Trek is a perfect example, having only 79 episodes and yet being extremely successful in syndication. The recent comedy, ‘Til Death made it into syndication with only 81 episodes. Clueless was reasonably successful in syndication with only 62 episodes having been produced. The original Battlestar Galactica has enjoyed a long syndicated run despite only having only 24 episodes (34 if you include Galactica 1980). With the extremely high ratings for the show currently, it is not wonder they are already syndicating at the 51 episode mark.

36. gooched says:

Rob Bruce is getting his own tv show…oh no. #tesd

37. lori says:

So exicted for babble on! Been listening to the podcast since day 1! Kevin and ralph are hilarious! Sending love

38. Greg cuevas says:

What goes on in real comic book stores 99.99% of the time is restocking and order placements… Yeah sounds like good tv… Idiot. It’s its a premise of their podcast “Tell Em Steve Dave”. Protest all you want, it’s a funny show about friends who like comic books working at a shop just hanging out. Lol “it doesn’t give a honest view on what happens on 99.99% behind the scenes”… Lame.

39. Hernando says:

Game of Arms, Ugh…. What an awful show! Yay for Walking Dead, they really brought that sicker back to life this season and this finale is going to put it over the TOP, I predict a Daryl and Beth Spin off, Daryl searching for her….

40. Looking forward to other spin offs, including

The Walking Dead: Special Victims Unit
    Fast Zombies, Slow Children
    So You Think You Can Zombie?
    The Zombie Shore
    The Walking Dead vs Kim Kardashian

41. Rick Dewitt says:

All I want to hear from AMC is that Game of Arms is canceled and all existing episodes will be lit on fire!

42. matt says:

typing on a phone can be hard lol *huge following from a podcast called tell em steve dave you see bry wearing a tesd shirt

43. Ryan says:

Ken, if you don’t like the show then don’t watch it. My wife and I think that Comic Book Men is a great show and we must not be alone because AMC keeps renewing it. Don’t cry and moan about it, just change the channel.

44. matt says:

comicbook men is not the best but its hass a huhe following from ppdcast fans of tell em steve dave another smodco show

45. Krystal says:

I love Comic book men simply because its great connection to Kevin Smith and all of his friends. It’s another window into his world. If the scenarios that play out aren’t always the most likely thing to happen, I could care less. It’s a TV show, and I enjoy it at length. It is like Pawn Stars for Geeks, which is one of the greatest things about it.

46. Sevenpenny says:

I thought a series had to air 100 episodes to get into syndication… while I don’t doubt that Walking Dead will get there… it just seems a little odd to be mentioning that right now.

As for the spin-off….Anywhere would be good… a foreign version would be good. a UK version would be cool….wouldn’t have to really do subtitles then….

47. Ken Deemer says:

I LOVE The Walking Dead & a spinoff could be Great! But, to add to Kevin Smith’s already Swelled Head by giving him another show is just horrible! Comic book Men is quite possibly the biggest piece of Garbage TV show on AMC right now! It’s like Pawn Stars for Nerds! It doesn’t give a honest view of what happens in 99.99% of all the Comic book shops in America! I don’t watch out of Protest! The show is Simply Bad! So let’s reward Sucking by giving him another show!
    AMC, just Stop. Stop it now before you turn into MTV, that plays only reality TV. Yet another show I won’t be watching!!

48. Patricia says:

Don’t forget to double tap when you see Bill Murray.

49. Shayde says:

Walking Dead West Coast. Guaranteed winner. Lots of celebrity dead cameos for sure. ” I just killed Lohan!”